Spectra VHF High-Power Corrupt Code Plug

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb4vwa
New User

Spectra VHF High-Power Corrupt Code Plug

Post by kb4vwa »

I have visited the Code Plug site and cannot find a code plug that works for me. I have two down radios after accidentally attempting to re-program radios with possibly a corrupt code plug. Therefore, I am seeking any assistance from the group to get these radios up and operational again. At this time both radios are stuck in loop, "Self-CHK" mode. I need a code plug that matches my model number and that may fix the issue. My model is T836XA7HA9AK. I would so much appreciate anyone that can direct e-mail me and help me out.

136-174 Mhz VHF
High-power
T836XA7HA9AK

Regards,

Ed
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Spectra VHF High-Power Corrupt Code Plug

Post by jmr061 »

A couple of things...the Model number probably starts out T83GXA...

VHFs came in two splits, 136-162 and 146-174, which is it? There is no wideband Spectra (ie 136-174).

Jason
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Sorry mine is 146-174 Mhz. I have two other radios with same model numbers and off only 1 digit in serial numbers and they work fine. For some reason, when I read the working radios and attempt to clone to corrupted ones, I get the error SELF-CHK. Its been so long I once programmed these rigs, I cannot for the life of me remember what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Is there anyone here that could fix my three Spectra radios for a flat rate. They simply have corrupted code plugs and I have no way to fix at this time.

PM me if you can help.

Thank you

Ed

KB9KST wrote:A couple of things...the Model number probably starts out T83GXA...

VHFs came in two splits, 136-162 and 146-174, which is it? There is no wideband Spectra (ie 136-174).

Jason
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I think your missing something here. The radios will go into a self check routine when they are powered up and part of it will say self check. If there is a problem with the codeplug, you generally will get one of the error messages. Your not indicating that there is an error message coming up on the display.

By any chance are the caps leaking and have done damage to the circuit boards? I would start by looking on the circuit board where the audio output amp IC is located. There are several caps in this area that will show the signs of leakage if they have got to that point.

Bad, leaking caps can destroy the different circuit boards over time to the point that they can not be repaired. If this is the case, then you might not be looking at bad software codeplugs, but damaged circuit boards. Need to get the radio into a working state where it will complete the boot up process before you go much further.

One of the questions I would also ask here is if you had the radio set up for zone operation. If so, then you should be asking for a zoned codeplug. If not, you need to say so to obtain a valid codeplug to fit your radio.

Another question is what is the version of the MLM board in the radio? This will determine what features the radio can have. A zoned radio will need at least a version 6.00 MLM board.

Forgot to mention, that you should also let people know what control head your using on these radios. You can get into the codeplug and change this easily depending on what version of the software you have to program the radio. There is a version of the software that has the bit bang feature. This allows you to go into the memory locations to change the required data as needed. there are a number of threads on this site and others about doing this. Plus there are PDS files that have this information on the memory locations to be changed to what data for the different functions.

Jim
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Jim-

I really appreciate your willingness to help me with this issue.

First let me mention that the two radios in question were working fine until I attempted to clone them, so therefore I do not think its a leaky cap, or they would not have been working to begin with. Second, what I did was read a working radio I had, added some channels, NO zones, and wrote back to radio. Its was then when I attempted to clone the other three radios that one took okay and the other two radios went south on me. When you power-up the radio they simply say SELF CHK and the receive yellow light is blinking. If you key the radio it will key and stay keyed. I tried changing serial number and then re-initializing radio. It then went in to FL ?? error. I then attempted to write back to the radio and back to SELF- CHK LOOP.

I can not figure out how to change is the model numbers back to what they were originally, and thought that may be causing the problem, but strange as it is, it not causing the problem on my other two Spectras. All four Spectra radios are of the same batch, same models with sequential serial numbers. Why does the programming work for two and not the other two is perplexing to me. I am now afraid to re-program the working ones thinking I may trash them too.

I am running A7 control heads with heavy duty control cable to radio. These were former federal radios and they have worked for me for years till now. I do know this, when I first purchased them, they had the 9000 control heads and somehow I fooled them to accept the A7 heads and they worked fine through the years. Now that I am using them again and attempted to re-program them, I screwed something up. I cannot find any of my old code plug either. In the past when I had these type issues, a good code plug would fix the problem. Today, I seem to be screwed for not many people on here into the old Spectra, for everyone seems to be into the Astro Spectra, etc.. One of my best friends who worked for the government and was a Motorola Guru passed away a few years ago, which now leaves me dead in the water.

Anyways, I hope I answered more of the questions surrounding my dilemma. The radios in question are Spectra high-power 110 watt, 146-174 Mhz, A7 Control head with remote cables. No zones to my knowledge, simply conventional channels. The radios model is TA9GX+078W ID # T83GXA7HA9AK.

If there is no one that can help me here with a good Code plug, maybe I can ship them to someone willing to fix them for me. I am just waiting to see if anyone makes me an offers.

Thank you again for your help Jim.

Regards,

Ed
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Jim-

I forgot to mention, all four of my MLM boards are 6.10 Version.

Thanks

Ed
Will

Post by Will »

Ed, I do repair the Spectras here. I am out here, So Cal.
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

can you PM, or email me direct for phone number information?

Thank you.

Ed
Will

Post by Will »

kb4vwa wrote:can you PM, or email me direct for phone number information?

Thank you.

Ed
Yes Sir, I did....

Return to “Radio Programming”