MCS2000 remote kit question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RT145
New User

MCS2000 remote kit question

Post by RT145 »

Hey everyone, just a quick question.

Since motorola no longer makes the MCS2000 Model II/III remote mount kits, I was wondering if I could use the kit for the Model I, but just use a model II control head with it. Will that work? Or are the cables/back piece for the radio itself different?

Thanks!
duncanville1
New User

Re: MCS2000 remote kit question

Post by duncanville1 »

The model 2/3 kits can usually be found new on Ebay for about $150. The head cable is the same with the exception you will not have any external speaker connections for the speaker. This means you will have to pin the external speaker off the accessory plug on radio. The only other issue will be the rear bezel for a model 1 head will not work on a model 2/3.
guy being a guy
On Moderation

Post by guy being a guy »

No .......It will give you a "fail 01/90".
Much like other models the radio "talks" to the control head, when it see's the wrong model than what the harware is programmed for then it does not know how to "talk" to it.
fail999
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX7K, XTS, XTL and on and on

Post by fail999 »

Along somewhat similar lines does anyone have information on using DEKs with model II or III MCS, cables and part numbers, etc.

Thanks,
fail999
duncanville1
New User

Post by duncanville1 »

guy being a guy wrote:No .......It will give you a "fail 01/90".
Much like other models the radio "talks" to the control head, when it see's the wrong model than what the harware is programmed for then it does not know how to "talk" to it.
This is not a spectra, the radio has no Idea its remoted... The only issues you will have is the ones I listed..
RT145
New User

Post by RT145 »

duncanville1 wrote:The model 2/3 kits can usually be found new on Ebay for about $150. The head cable is the same with the exception you will not have any external speaker connections for the speaker. This means you will have to pin the external speaker off the accessory plug on radio. The only other issue will be the rear bezel for a model 1 head will not work on a model 2/3.
I haven't seen any of the remote kits on ebay for awhile. But if I bought the 1 kit, tossed the rear bezel for the model 1 head and used a model 2 remote head would the rest of it should work? As long as the bezel that goes on the radio itself fits.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I don't think he's talking about putting a model 1 head on amodel II/III radio, he just wants to know if the remote cable kit from a M1 will work a-on a MII/III.

MI back housings are thiner than the MII/III back housings, so, no they won't work
RT145
New User

Post by RT145 »

Oh okay, so I'd need both of those pieces too. Thanks everyone!
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Post by tsunami_australia »

RT I think you will find that you can "remote" a series 1 head to the series 1 brick but you cannot plug a series 2 head to a series 1 brick. I think the head has to be the same series as the brick but the pins/remote cable are the same throughout the series.

If this is indeed the case, since the series 1 was intended as a dash mount only you would have to mod up your own blanking panels for the front of the brick and the rear of the head since they are a smaller size than the series 2 and 3.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

RFguy wrote:
I don't think he's talking about putting a model 1 head on amodel II/III radio, he just wants to know if the remote cable kit from a M1 will work a-on a MII/III.

MI back housings are thiner than the MII/III back housings, so, no they won't work
And he's wrong about the FAIL 01/90 too. MCS radios will power on with any model head connected to them, but the display will be cut off and some of the buttons may not work. I keep a model 1 head handy for programming VRM650 radios so I can program them through the mic jack.
RT145
New User

Post by RT145 »

Hey everyone,

I managed to get a hold of a remote kit. Are there any instructions online on how to install it?

Thanks
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

There are locking tabs on the left and right sides of the head that hold it on. GENTLY insert a small flat-head screwdriver underneath the edge of the control head plastic where it meets the radio chassis, and push into the radio until you feel the tab snap loose then pull the head forward slightly. Then do the same thing on the other side and pull the head all the way off. If it feels like it's tugging a little that's due to the rubber gasket underneath.
ceshiwuhao
New User

Post by ceshiwuhao »

The only issues you will have is the ones I listed.
Last edited by escomm on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam links removed from signature.
Thomas
What radios do you own?: MCS2K,CDM1250,XTS3000,XTL2500

Post by Thomas »

Reading in another thread I found that a model II/III remote head kit can be converted to a model I remote kit by aquiring these two parts.

1505907V04 - HSNG REMOTE BK W/CBL ALIGN
3205931V02 - GSKT FRONT COVER

Does anyone know where I can order these from? They seem very hard to find, especially the 1505907V04 part.

Or if anyone has a remote mount kit for a model I they would be willing to part with or trade up for a model II/III kit minus the pwr cord let me know please.

Update...just found the parts listed above after more searching at http://www.wiscomm.com/

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”