Motorola R2600 Not Working, help!

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

moztas

Motorola R2600 Not Working, help!

Post by moztas »

My R2600 service monitor stopped working suddenly. Only AC power led lits and bottom cooler fan seems working but no video, no keypad and other functions. I found schematic of the R2600 power supply and checked every voltage points on it. There are +40V DC, +12V DC, +5 V DC, -12V DC and -5V DC outputs, according to schematic, voltages are ok and these outputs go to other boards without any problem. My guess, there is a problem on processor board (controller) but I had no information about this board.

Is there anybody advise me something to check. A basic troubleshooting chart to follow maybe. Pls help!

Regards
moztas
xmo

Re: Motorola R2600 Not Working, help!

Post by xmo »

If the reference switch accidentally gets set to external - the monitor will act the way you have described. Obviously the same thing would happen if the internal reference dies.
moztas

Post by moztas »

xmo many thanks for reply!

According to your informations below, I checked internal reference (10 Mhz, frequency standart module) and realised that frequency standart module doesn't generate 10 MHz. This module is located on rear panel next to power supply. I also checked voltages on pins J3 connector, all OK. Do you suggest someting to repair this frequency standard module?

Regards
moztas
moztas

Re: Motorola R2600 Not Working, **SOLVED**!

Post by moztas »

I just found a short circuit on the "Frequency Standard" board (10 MHz reference board). Reason was a damaged capasitor. I changed the capasitor and my R2600 started to work! Great!
Many thanks xmo! I could repaired it because of your guidance!

Best Regards
moztas
xmo

Post by xmo »

Excellent!
nomadd22

Post by nomadd22 »

I just saw this old thread and went back to my failed R2600B. Oplink Solutions had given me a $6200 estimate for repair.
I cleaned up the int/ext 10mhz switch and it works perfectly now. Never knew the display wouldn't come on without the 10mhz.

Thanks xmo. You saved me a bundle. I was about to spring for an R8000.
xmo

Post by xmo »

And how did I learn this interesting fact?
Well, let's just say that I am not going to tell you just how cheap I bought an R2670 because it was apparently dead!
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Bring a thread back from the dead...

One of my monitors just started exhibiting the same symptoms. (AC Power LED, occasional speaker pop on power switch and cooling fan works when it should.) I don't have a manual or pdf to work from though. Anybody have any pdf's they could shoot me, or pics to work from to test the internal reference?

[edit: Repair complete. Power connector next to the Ref Osc power connector was loose. However, I'd still like any doc's if anyone has them.]

thanks for any help
tpg

thepagergeek@aol.com
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
billroig

Post by billroig »

Have a R2600C all functions on the generate side work, power meter works. In Monitor mode, I get a received signal in the Spectrum Analyzer mode the signal shows the correct level of the received signal but when I go to MOD SCOPE, I get no signal. I do not get received audio through the speaker, squelch doesn't work. The Freq error shows -92.5 all the time and Dev: doesn't indicate. I do get beeps so speaker and audio amp seem to be OK. In the Generate mode I get the audio tone in the speaker when enabled. I think it migt be a problem in the demodulator circuitry or receiver I.F.

I don't have a Service Manual and haven't been able to find one. If somebody could help I would appreciate. Or, if someone could tell me the module number I could try to exchange as I do have an R2660 (on the back it says R2600A)that operates correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill AC4BD
fdc681
New User

Post by fdc681 »

Sure would appreciate a copy of the power supply schematic as my 2600 only works on DC.
Thanks, Fred
drphred@charter.net
ChanceWolf
What radios do you own?: Saber R, Micom XF, R2600B, MXs

Post by ChanceWolf »

This thread got me started in the right direction troubleshooting my own R2600B/C1 but my own problem is a bit different. What happens is that the machine will try to boot on powerup, but only gets as far as the Motorola Restricted Software splash screen and just sits there forever without going any further. By fluke ('bizarre happenstance' - not the voltmeter Fluke) I found that if you cycle the 10 Mhz reference oscillator switch from INTERNAL to EXTERNAL and then back to INTERNAL again while powered on, the unit will make it past the Motorola blah-blah splash screen, go on to Calibration, and then work fine once the cal process completes (the NVM battery is dead but I'll deal with that later.) Doesn't appear to be dirty switch connections etc. as it will do this reliably every time, but will *never* complete boot if you just sit there and wait for the splash screen to progress to something else.

Anyone else have the same problem? Tried reflowing some of the solderwork around the OSC INT/EXT switch itself as well as some suspect looking components in the same area, but it didn't help.

[edit: changed out the dead NIMH NVM battery and now it continues past the splash screen and boots as normal. Go figure.)
Last edited by ChanceWolf on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
N6QDY
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Tait, Kenwood, etc..

Post by N6QDY »

Hi Guys,
This forum seems like a great place for R2600 information... I currently have an I/O issue while trying to generate the correct levels...
Basically, when I send a signal to a known good radio (receive sensitivity) the receiver opens up at -115dB, I take the same exact radio, go
to another known good Service monitor and it opens up at -119.5+/-. A friend of mine used his service monitor against mine and got the
same results... Was hoping someone might be able to help me out... Any ideas?
I've already done the self CAL... For grins, i'll try plugging in my 10Mhz external osc.

I'm thinking rf was sent into the I/O port while R2600 was generating a signal and it blew something (*&^%$#@!) Help please...

Thanks,
David
David De vera
msa
New User

Post by msa »

N6QDY wrote:I'm thinking rf was sent into the I/O port while R2600 was generating a signal and it blew something (*&^%$#@!) Help please...
David,

If that happened, you blew something alright...

... check the fuses in the I/O RF connectors for continuity with a DVM. :lol:

I will say, they are a mite expensive for fuses... but not so bad as R2600 modules themselves.
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

My R2660 was working fine the other day and I set it up to tune a duplexer. When I hooked it up I started to inject tone and notice I was not getting anything on the monitor screen. So I shut the uunit down and got pulled away to do some other things. Then the next day when I came back I turned on the monitor and found that it would show: "Boot ROM V1.00 Self-Test: Pass" it would then go to the Rights Restricted legal screen. Then it would go to the normal screen for about a second then it would act like it powered off and go through everything I just said once again.
I thought since we were having a humid few days I would give it a chance to cool down and try it another day. So the next day when it was cooler I came back and now it would not power it up at all. So I checked the power cord and fuse and found the 3A fused had blown. I got a new fuse, checked the 10Mhz switch and anything else I could externally and boom the same issue is happening.

Any help would be great.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
vtthiang

Post by vtthiang »

moztas wrote:My R2600 service monitor stopped working suddenly. Only AC power led lits and bottom cooler fan seems working but no video, no keypad and other functions. I found schematic of the R2600 power supply and checked every voltage points on it. There are +40V DC, +12V DC, +5 V DC, -12V DC and -5V DC outputs, according to schematic, voltages are ok and these outputs go to other boards without any problem. My guess, there is a problem on processor board (controller) but I had no information about this board.

Is there anybody advise me something to check. A basic troubleshooting chart to follow maybe. Pls help!

Regards
moztas
My R-2600CHS is have problem cannot power up. I opened up the cover and cannot find the Power Supply Schematic so need some help. Does anyone has the Schematic, could you help? So I can get it working.

Million thanks

Thinag
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

OK, looks like my R2600 is suffering from the same malady that everyone else's is doing -

Works fine on DC, won't do diddly on AC.

Anyone have a schematic of the power supply?

TIA
Andy / NC4AB
isaacbg84
New User

Post by isaacbg84 »

Hello,

Im having the same problem with my R2600D:

AC turns on ok Fan ok and i can always hear a beep sound BUT just a second after the screen show up in blank and nothing happens.....I have conected the 10MHz frequency output to an Osciloscope and i can see 10MHz on my screen with a peak-peak voltage of .12V . Is this ok?

Any ideas about what could be happening? I have cheked also the voltages of +5,-5,+12,-12 and they seem Ok but i cant find the 40V. Could you help me sending me an echematic of the powr supply?

help please.

Thanks
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

isaacbg84 wrote:Hello,

AC turns on ok Fan ok and i can always hear a beep sound BUT just a second after the screen show up in blank and nothing happens.....I have conected the 10MHz frequency output to an Osciloscope and i can see 10MHz on my screen with a peak-peak voltage of .12V . Is this ok?

Any ideas about what could be happening? I have cheked also the voltages of +5,-5,+12,-12 and they seem Ok but i cant find the 40V. Could you help me sending me an echematic of the powr supply?

help please.

Thanks
Your 10 MHz output is too low. Try an external 10 MHz source.
Dave
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Andy Brinkley wrote:OK, looks like my R2600 is suffering from the same malady that everyone else's is doing -

Works fine on DC, won't do diddly on AC.

Anyone have a schematic of the power supply?

TIA
Hi Andy,

Hate to ask the dumb question & insult your intelligence, but did you check the AC fuse (the AC and DC sources have separate fuses)?
Dave
isaacbg84
New User

Post by isaacbg84 »

DJP126 wrote:
isaacbg84 wrote:Hello,

help please.

Thanks
Your 10 MHz output is too low. Try an external 10 MHz source.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but how can i generate a 10MHz signal to it? With a generator? is there a radioshack thing i can buy to do this??

Thanks again.
ChanceWolf
What radios do you own?: Saber R, Micom XF, R2600B, MXs

Post by ChanceWolf »

After power up, try cycling the INT/EXT 10 MHz switch to EXT and back again during the power up sequence.
isaacbg84
New User

Post by isaacbg84 »

ChanceWolf wrote:After power up, try cycling the INT/EXT 10 MHz switch to EXT and back again during the power up sequence.
I heard that could do the trick before, but every time i turn off the switch and on again only a beep sounds. :( this unnit is prety dead for me.....apart from the beep and white screen. I havent tried to connect an externarl reference signal to it yet.
commsec
New User

Post by commsec »

I have a R2600C I purchased at Dayton. It passed all self tests and worked fine. Next morning turned it on and I lost all the grid and soft menu graphics. The data is there bright and clear and the unit functions. I just have no display of the static info, self test or firmware display screens. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I have no manual yet. Thanks
d119

Post by d119 »

commsec wrote:I have a R2600C I purchased at Dayton. It passed all self tests and worked fine. Next morning turned it on and I lost all the grid and soft menu graphics. The data is there bright and clear and the unit functions. I just have no display of the static info, self test or firmware display screens. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I have no manual yet. Thanks
Brightness knob.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”