XTL5000 Motorcycle Radio Question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JeffFireRadio

XTL5000 Motorcycle Radio Question

Post by JeffFireRadio »

This is the tale of two radios...both XTL5000 remote mounts, 700-800mhz, M20URS9PW1AN, each with new-style O-5 heads, new from the factory. The first radio was purchased three years ago as a standard remote mount mobile, to be used as a regular mobile. When a local police department decided they needed to have a bike, a motorcycle accessory group kit was purchased from M in order to place this unit into service (still new) on a police cycle (on low power setting).

The second radio we are referencing came from the factory as a motorcycle radio and was just recently purchased. It is identical in every other way to the first radio...model, flash, accessories, etc.

Despite the fact that there is no available flashcode item for anything remotely labeled "motorcycle", CPS will not allow you to access "motorcycle option" in the first radio. This field remains gray, even when setting transmit power to "low", transmit power on high changed to "15.0 watts" and even when trying a few other tricks. The second radio does have an "X" in the "motorcycle option" field of CPS, right out of the box.

Despite the second (real motorcycle) radio having an out-of-the-box RF output setting of 16.5 watts on high power in CPS, the model number is still M20URS9PW1AN, hinting that is still capable of the full 35 watts. ??

So, the question is...what makes the XTL motorcycle radio a motorcycle radio, worthy of accessibility to the coveted "motorcycle option" field in CPS? Is the PA different? Is there a secret decoder ring I haven't saved enough box tops for yet? We ask, as there are a few things not doable on a motorcycle radio without the "motorcycle option" being checked (mostly accessory-oriented). Thanks for any helpful thoughts from other experienced techs.
GlennD

Re: XTL5000 Motorcycle Radio Question

Post by GlennD »

Our motorcycle units have identical model numbers with our normal mobiles. Despite marking the units as motor they usually come back as mobiles. It always takes 2 trips to get them back as motor units.
JeffFireRadio

Re: XTL5000 Motorcycle Radio Question

Post by JeffFireRadio »

GlennD,

Thanks. That gives me a little more peek into what's going on. Exactly as you pointed out, I'm worried about requesting a flash dongle to upgrade my real motorcycle radio with ADP and ending up with a regular mobile that I can't "motorcycle option" once it's over. Hmmm. --Jeff

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”