Squelch Tail and PL's

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

asmitty0010

Squelch Tail and PL's

Post by asmitty0010 »

I want to PL a channel i'm receiving on an ASTRO Spectra but when I PL it, I lose the squelch tail. Is there a way to PL the radio and still have that short time of white noise until the radio mutes?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Squelch Tail and PL's

Post by Pj »

Not that I recall. Thats part of the PL thing..also called reverse burst. This drops the pl prior to transmitting turning off to remove such crash.

About the only thing you can try is setting the squelch to zero.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
guy being a guy
On Moderation

Post by guy being a guy »

It's probably at the repeater site.
It's not Xmitting PL once it no longer receives from the subscriber unit.
Once it no longer sees an input carrier it stops Xmitting the PL tone .
Very common set up .
Reverse burst only is useful in old reed type PL modulators to stop the reed from vibrating. New synthesized radios don't use that feature like it was originally designed and used for . Today we will reverse burst a PL tone on "dekey" which will send the PL out in reverse phase for a millisecond but is really useless in today's synthesized radios.
Pj

Post by Pj »

^
Not exactly. The OP is suggesting that he does not have PL (CSQ enabled) on this current channel. He wants to hear that squelch crash that many people get when you use a low squelch setting.

Now, it is possible that the repeater doesn't have its game all there, or a kenwood radio using the different phase shift could be causing the squelch crash at the repeater (if its a Motorola repeater), but I am going to say he just wants to hear the noise.

Reverse burst is still alive and well and works well with radio from the SABER series to current APX's. I've wondered about it and setup (on simplex) different combinations and you will still get that crash with low squelch settings not using reverse burst.

There is a thread somewhere here that details what Motorola and Kenwood uses for the phase shift that was causing it... and IIRC it effected the Pro series radios more than the high tier ones.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj

Post by Pj »

Here is the thread about the reverse burst..
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9856
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If you want to hear the sq tail in a PL protected rcvr, you need to have the mic off hook (aka monitor) so the rcvr is in CSQ. It is a function of the far end transmitter sending reverse burst at EOT - It immediately mutes the rcvrs if they are not in monitor / CSQ.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”