Dead MLM 6.10 Board

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb4vwa
New User

Dead MLM 6.10 Board

Post by kb4vwa »

Hoping someone can help me out. I killed my MLM 6.10 while attempting to program a mode with split PL/DPL for repeater use. When I went to program it stated something about bad data may cause the radio to not function properly. Well, I went ahead and programmed it and got a 01/82, or something like it. I tried again, and got the radio stuck in the programming mode. I re-tried one more time and got a message that said your radio is being inhibited, and then the radio went blank. Now I cannot access the radio, I get a bad serial connection, or No comms. I replaced the MLM board from another radio and its working. So, question, how do I get this MLM working again? Removing the chip, or what? Does anyone have some extra MLM boards? Last, I tried this split PL/DPL on a GM300 mobile and the radio dod not go dead, but it would not transmit proper DPL's on working repeaters until I removed the one mode channel with split PL/DPL. Has anyone encountered this ever? If not, be warned!

Thank you for any reponses.

Ed
Jim202

Re: Dead MLM 6.10 Board

Post by Jim202 »

kb4vwa wrote:Hoping someone can help me out. I killed my MLM 6.10 while attempting to program a mode with split PL/DPL for repeater use. When I went to program it stated something about bad data may cause the radio to not function properly. Well, I went ahead and programmed it and got a 01/82, or something like it. I tried again, and got the radio stuck in the programming mode. I re-tried one more time and got a message that said your radio is being inhibited, and then the radio went blank. Now I cannot access the radio, I get a bad serial connection, or No comms. I replaced the MLM board from another radio and its working. So, question, how do I get this MLM working again? Removing the chip, or what? Does anyone have some extra MLM boards? Last, I tried this split PL/DPL on a GM300 mobile and the radio dod not go dead, but it would not transmit proper DPL's on working repeaters until I removed the one mode channel with split PL/DPL. Has anyone encountered this ever? If not, be warned!

You have to really work hard to kill a Spectra radio. Normally the error code 01/82 is from a bad checksum. You fix it by reading the radio and not changing anything, then write back to the radio.

Never heard of a radio being inhibited by just playing with the programming. I suspect that you did something else that your not telling us. Like maybe trying to program a trunking system and then putting an antenna on the radio.

Jim

Ed
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

kb4vwa wrote:Hoping someone can help me out. I killed my MLM 6.10 while attempting to program a mode with split PL/DPL for repeater use. When I went to program it stated something about bad data may cause the radio to not function properly. Well, I went ahead and programmed it and got a 01/82, or something like it. I tried again, and got the radio stuck in the programming mode. I re-tried one more time and got a message that said your radio is being inhibited, and then the radio went blank. Now I cannot access the radio, I get a bad serial connection, or No comms. I replaced the MLM board from another radio and its working. So, question, how do I get this MLM working again? Removing the chip, or what? Does anyone have some extra MLM boards? Last, I tried this split PL/DPL on a GM300 mobile and the radio dod not go dead, but it would not transmit proper DPL's on working repeaters until I removed the one mode channel with split PL/DPL. Has anyone encountered this ever? If not, be warned!

Ed
I have a few mlm's you can have.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by 35echo »

Ed,

Your best bet is to get a new MLM from spectragod. The MLM you have may be so corrupted the only way to clear it is to remove, erase, and program a new mask on each memory chip. As for the GM300 I haven't ever seen one prog. with split pl/dpl before. If I get a chance I will try to recreate your problem and see if its just your radio or a firmware defect, if for no other reason than being curious.

As for the GM300 and narrowband, this model was produced in 12.5K and 25K versions. So if you have a 25K model keep it on ham freqs, but if its a 12.5K model you are good to go. If the 7th character in the model number is a 0 its a 12.5K radio. If the 7th character is a 2 its a 25K radio.

If you have any more questions be sure to ask. There are still people on this board that don't mind helping, but there are some who automatically think you are doing something illegal or think they are the smartest person on the board.

Regards,

Allen
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Unhelpful and flaming posts removed from thread.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Jim202 wrote:

You have to really work hard to kill a Spectra radio. Normally the error code 01/82 is from a bad checksum. You fix it by reading the radio and not changing anything, then write back to the radio.

Never heard of a radio being inhibited by just playing with the programming. I suspect that you did something else that your not telling us. Like maybe trying to program a trunking system and then putting an antenna on the radio.

Jim

Ed
Jim-

Honestly, I did get the 01/82 and then the radio got stuck in programming mode. Afterwards it went dead, right before it flashed radio will be inhibited on the RSS software. No antenna, or trunking involved. DEAD MLM VHF radio. I replaced the MLM 6.10 with another one from different radio and it worked find. The Radio will not read with MLM, its as if NO MLM is installed, therefore dead.

Ed
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

35echo wrote:Ed,

Your best bet is to get a new MLM from spectragod. The MLM you have may be so corrupted the only way to clear it is to remove, erase, and program a new mask on each memory chip. As for the GM300 I haven't ever seen one prog. with split pl/dpl before. If I get a chance I will try to recreate your problem and see if its just your radio or a firmware defect, if for no other reason than being curious.

As for the GM300 and narrowband, this model was produced in 12.5K and 25K versions. So if you have a 25K model keep it on ham freqs, but if its a 12.5K model you are good to go. If the 7th character in the model number is a 0 its a 12.5K radio. If the 7th character is a 2 its a 25K radio.

If you have any more questions be sure to ask. There are still people on this board that don't mind helping, but there are some who automatically think you are doing something illegal or think they are the smartest person on the board.

Regards,

Allen
Allen-

Nothing illegal ....here, just trying to get radios to operate on our local fire repeater which uses split PL/DPL, and found this programming to corrupt the Spectra and GM300 radios. Not sure why anyone would think something illegal here. As for the 12.5 Vs 25 Khz, I am aware of that and understand. The Spectra is only a 25 Khz radio, but regardless encountered this programming problem. I am a ham and a public safety operator, so this is why I have encountered these issues in trying to setup my radios to do both.

Thanks

Ed
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Jim202 wrote:

Jim

Ed

Jim-

Try programming a split PL/DPL in one mode channel and try to write to radio and see what you get? although I do not recommend it based on what it did to my radio.

Thanks

Ed
Will

Post by Will »

I will also take a look at this.

I made a test setting DPL on TX and PL on RX, no problems with it in my RSS.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”