XPR 4550 Audio Issue

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireinterceptor
New User

XPR 4550 Audio Issue

Post by fireinterceptor »

I have recently updated the firmware in our fleet of radios to R01.12.02. After doing so, I have noticed the receive audio on the XPR 4550 radios sounds like garbage now. When receiving a voice transmission on a digital channel, the audio now sounds a little distorted and maybe even a little tinny. This is only happening in digital channels, and with no basic or enhanced privacy involved. Is there anything in the firmware that causes this? Is there a setting I can change in the CPS that will correct this?
wavetar
Administrator

Re: XPR 4550 Audio Issue

Post by wavetar »

What version were you upgrading from, out of curiosity? I would check to see if something may have changed to a default setting during the upgrade. Perhaps you had digital mic gain set manually & it changed to AGC enabled, or noise suppressor or AF suppressor have changed states?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
fireinterceptor
New User

Updated from previous version R01.11.10......

None of the settings you mentioned were changed when I upgraded to R01.12.02.

Motorola Tech Support is stumped as well.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Double check on the general settings tab that noise suppressor and AF Suppressor are both unchecked. Noise suppressor seems to get turned on by default in the newest update. That will cause harshness, and the AF suppressor will make people sound tinny.
fireinterceptor
New User

I can report back that the AF Suppressor was causing the issue. I turned it off in each of the affected radios, and the problem went away. The AF Suppressor was a handy feature for us, and when it was first added, we had no audio issues. It seems that somewhere down the line, perhaps when firmware got updated, something went wrong with this feature. We didn't have any issues with it until I began updating firmware recently. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”