Motobridge with APX6500 mobile, need help.

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dag
New User
What radios do you own?: amateur

Motobridge with APX6500 mobile, need help.

Post by dag »

A new system has been delivered in pieces. It did not come with cabling or installation documentation. I jumped in with both feet not knowing anything about Motobridge. Here is what I have so far.

I have the radios programmed and connected to the Motobridge using the cables provided by Motorola. The Motobridge is programmed to run as both a R-GU and a WS-GU. The dispatch PC sees the radios, I have transmit and receive. The radio resources are programmed as XTL/APX ser. 5 mimic. No other interface type, such as ACIM, works. I have buttons for home, zone, and channel, both up and down working. The "rotary" knob works. But, they work only when the radio finally decides to turn on. The display only shows the top row of indicators, nothing else such as zone and channel name, soft button assignments, and I'm not sure that what is shown on the top row is correct because some of the indicators appear before the radio comes up.

Here is where I am stuck. If the GU is in a restart cycle the radios power on, but as soon as the GU application starts up, the radios cut off. They cycle like they are trying to power up, but go for long periods like that, and then randomly one will actually come on. And since there is nothing on the live display of the radio resource, I get the idea that the GU is not seeing data from the radio. However, the busy light does show activity. I think that the busy indicator is not data from the radio but generated by the receive audio detector in the GU.

The documentation I just downloaded from MOL for version 4.9 does not go into any detail on specific radios, and certainly does not include the APX6500. I am now beating my head on the wall, so to speak.

Any one have any clues?
Thanks.
David Gosselin
CETsr, SETMSS
KD4HTU
rlee0481
New User

Re: Motobridge with APX6500 mobile, need help.

Post by rlee0481 »

When the radio powers on does it also show "error 15/10" on the screen? If you unplug the Motobridge cable does it power on normally? If so, you probably need to check "allow external accessory" in the code plug. We had a similar experience with the unit powering on when we added one recently on our state Motorobridge terminal. Hope that helps.

Ryan Lee
KJ4WJI
dag
New User
What radios do you own?: amateur

Post by dag »

No error appears on the radio. Disconnecting the Motobridge cable from the radio also means disconnecting ignition sense, so I have not tried that. I assumed that since the radio does come on when the Motobridge is in a restart, unplugging the Motobridge connector would be unnecessary.

However, I will look into the "allow external accessory" setting just to be certain. Thanks.
David Gosselin
CETsr, SETMSS
KD4HTU
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

So, when is the Motorola SE scheduled to come out and install it?
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”