Motorola R2001D won't accept any button input

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mario_b
New User

Motorola R2001D won't accept any button input

Post by mario_b »

Hello All,
I am new to this forum but I noticed that the users are quite familiar to the Motorola R2001D Service Monitor.
I have purchased one of these devices off Ebay and I am trying to fix it (as you probably figured out, it's not working currently).
The problem:
Unit switches on but then a message appears on the screen: "Warning RF Load Over/Temp", it emits a tone that I think it's close to 1khz and it's stuck on the Spectrum Analyzer setting.
This is basically it. None of the switches are working, I tried them all, absolutely no reaction from the unit.
I've read in the service manual that the RF over load can be fixed by serial polling the GPIB interface, but unfortunately the unit doesn't have the A8 board (GPIB board).
I don't know if the freeze is caused by the RF over load error or has any other cause.
Perhaps you can help my with suggestions where to start the search.
Thank you very much for your responses in advance!
PS: I am from Romania, so I have no access to repair labs from the US!
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Motorola R2001D won't accept any button input

Post by DJP126 »

Hello Mario, Your RF Overtemp problem indicates a bad A17 RF I/O module. Either a bad attenuator chip (located behind the "N" connector) or a bad wideband amp.
Dave
mario_b
New User

Post by mario_b »

Hello Dave.
First of all thank you for the hint.
I plan to check the temperature sensor and the I/O board first.
I will post on my progress.
mario_b
New User

Post by mario_b »

Temperature sensor is ok, no voltage coming out of the op amp, meaning no over temperature, next I will check the multiplexer in the DVM/scope board and then the ADC on the RF I/O board.
mario_b
New User

Post by mario_b »

Hi again, i managed to fix my 2001d. The problem was in the a7 board like Dave said. The multiplexer for the signals was ok but the control line for the temp sensor select was stuck high. An op amp used between the processor address lines and the line decoder was dead. As soon as i cut the line, the processor was free and the unit came back to life. I will replace the op amp and do more tests next week. Thanks for the help, Dave.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”