DTMF

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

panserv

DTMF

Post by panserv »

Though I had a pair of astro sabers for some time, I am just getting started playing with them and P25.
I hope its ok if I ask a stupid question or two.
Its not possible to send dtmf tones with an Astro Saber 3 while in digital mode is it ?
Thanks !
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: DTMF

Post by Wowbagger »

You really cannot send DTMF through a vocoder and have it survive. However, the P25 standard has a way to encode dialing information into the data stream, so that you can represent dialing information that way, rather than as DTMF. However, that's mostly for talking to a PSTN interconnect, not talking radio to radio.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
panserv

Post by panserv »

Ok. Well then, if I may ask, is it possible to press a "dtmf" key on one Astro Saber and have that same tone come out of the speaker on a second similar radio, while on P25 ?
Thank you for replying.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

I don't think so - the receiving radio would need to have logic to receive the data packet and generate the tone. I don't think they do that, but I could be wrong (nobody ever wanted that sort of thing tested).

Why do you want to do that?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Wowbagger is correct. The P25 Saber will not regen DTMF based on the keypress of a transmitting unit. DTMF operation is strictly an analog mode function. I don't know of any P25 product that can do direct subscriber to subscriber signalling of any kind that you can port to an external device.
panserv

Post by panserv »

Ok guys, thank you for your answers.
I wanted to know if an Astro Saber can control an ArgentData simplex repeater that uses DTMF tones for control.
I have had , lets say, encouraging results with double vocoding.
For my purposes, even if double vocoding works (reasonably well) on a simplex repeater, unless one makes use of the repeaters voicemail, the effort is almost self defeating. Trouble is that the argentdata module needs dtmf tones to access voicemail.
I have one such module in the mail and thought to ask a few questions here.
Now the fun begins.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”