333 Pent II disable cache?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mogman

333 Pent II disable cache?

Post by mogman »

You folks have helped me before and I need help again, the older laptops are getting harder to maintain and find parts for and I have several Gateway Solo Pent II 333 MHz units, they run all of the RSS I need but for the Max99.
99% of the time I try to invoke the ICD command it locks up the machine, but that 1 in 100 it takes it and the RSS runs fine with no issues, only sooner or later I have to shut down the machine and it starts all over again.
I have tried disabling smart drive and highmem without success, there must be a way to reliably disable the L2 cache or some other way to make this work but I have not been able to find it.
THANKS!
Craig
Jim202

Re: 333 Pent II disable cache?

Post by Jim202 »

mogman wrote:You folks have helped me before and I need help again, the older laptops are getting harder to maintain and find parts for and I have several Gateway Solo Pent II 333 MHz units, they run all of the RSS I need but for the Max99.
99% of the time I try to invoke the ICD command it locks up the machine, but that 1 in 100 it takes it and the RSS runs fine with no issues, only sooner or later I have to shut down the machine and it starts all over again.
I have tried disabling smart drive and highmem without success, there must be a way to reliably disable the L2 cache or some other way to make this work but I have not been able to find it.
THANKS!
Craig

I have been using a small program called "cacheoff.com" that I downloaded off the Internet after a search for it. Run it before you start the radio programming software. I put a copy of this program in each of the radio programming directories, so I don't have to keep changing directories when programming radios.

Jim
mogman

Post by mogman »

Thanks Jim that is the ICD I was talking about, it locks this machine up 99% of the time, it says disabling cache and that's the end of it, I never get a prompt back
mogman

Post by mogman »

To be clear the program I am running is cache off, it has a ICD (disable) and ICE (enable) command, I can find nothing when searching for cacheoff.com
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Okay, here come the dumb questions.

1 - Are you running in "pure DOS" or a Windows shell? (It seems MSDOS 6.22 works best with some of the older RSS software)

2 - What version of DOS?

3 - Have you tried the SMARTDRV - command?

Even though some RSS works through a Windows DOS, not all of them do.
Dave

Return to “Radio Programming”