Spectra (non astro) programming issues

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mogman

Spectra (non astro) programming issues

Post by mogman »

I am having some strange issues with some spectra radios, using the same setup as before, I have to lower the voltage going to the radio to under 10V or I get a serial buss failure, tried this on several radios and with two factory RIBs and an aftermarket RIB with the same results, checked the programming cable and all looks fine, then I made a big time rookie mistake, I took a "new" UHF A4 under dash and read it then wrote back without saving the original code plug now I get a 01/82 error so I went to the code plug super site and looked, they mean nothing to me as they are just saved with the serial numbers,, copied all of the non Astro code plugs and tried with several different RSS version cannot recognize any of them (I get a path error to the file I saved all the code plugs to,"path does not exist"), so I guess I just killed that radio for good.
But am wondering if anyone has seen the voltage issue.
Thanks
mogman

NEED CODE PLUG

Post by mogman »

OK so I am suffering from C.R.S. big time, I could have sworn I had used the old Gateway Pentium before to program Spectra radios, got out the old Compaq 486 and shizam! no more voltage issues, now if I can find a good code plug to match my radio I think I can save it, so if anyone can send me one I would be grateful, I can change the serial number, then change it back after dumping the new code plug into the radio, I did have a saved code plug from another UHF radio but it is not an A4 so it had a model # conflict and would not let me load it (what the heck thought I would try it)
MODEL DA4KM+068W
TYPE D44KMA7JA4AK
kd5ual

Re: Spectra (non astro) programming issues

Post by kd5ual »

The analog Spectra is fairly hard to kill
The 01/82 error is a checksum error normally fixed by reading the Codeplug and writing back without making any changes.
what are you using for your programming setup? processor, speed, OS, and does the computer have a real serial port?
wendell
mogman

Post by mogman »

Even now that I am using the correct PC, that is not going to save it,(I tried that several times already) the code plug is pretty badly corrupted, when I read it and if I can even get into "F5 mode programming" the only mode has no RX frequency also the TX and talk around is 1.000 MHZ
but then I cannot back out of that form or go anywhere at that point the PC is locked up.

Compaq 4/25 LTE with cache disabled, DOS 6.22 and yes it has a real serial port (not that much of a rookie!!) real Motorola RIB.

I have grabbed a small stack of A5 and A7 radios and can read/write to them and navigate through the menus no problem, I just screwed up using the Gateway Pentium to write to the A4 UHF in the first place (AND NOT SAVING THE ORIGINAL CODE PLUG!!!), the only UHF radio I have is an A5 version, so I do need a good code plug.

I did manage to load all the code plugs I downloaded from the "SUPER" site, but almost all are 8/900 MHz and no UHF A4 radios.
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

mogman

I'll check my archives, time permitting, no guarantees
450-482? or something else
wendell
mogman

Code Plug

Post by mogman »

Yes, sorry 450-482 MHz, Thanks for looking!!
mogman

Post by mogman »

Actually the band split does not matter, I can always bit bang it later.
Craig
mogman

Post by mogman »

Jim (not sure he wants me to list his last name) stuck with me and sent me a code plug that worked and got the radio straight, THANKS Jim!!
mogman

Post by mogman »

Jim, Please send me an email or PM me as I lost your email address.

Return to “Radio Programming”