R2001D motorboating/oscillating

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n0czv
New User

R2001D motorboating/oscillating

Post by n0czv »

Still working through issues on an R2001D - early firmware edition.

My first observation was that receive sensitivity was poor, but as I worked on the unit, checking the protection fuse, etc, I observed that the unit was making more of a motorboating or oscillating noise on receive an generate. If I quick cycle power off then back on, the unit functions and sounds normal. On the antenna port, I am seeing .25uv receive sensitivity.
From receive to generate mode, the unit will revert back to oscillating. In generate mode, the unit is generating a signal on frequency, but no audio other than the motorboating. A quick cycle on power will get it working, microphone audio, 1 Khz audio, etc all good and clear.
I am still reading through the manual to get a better understanding, but I was hoping that someone may have observed something similar? I am at the point of still determining if something is broke, or on a threshold that alignment would help alleviate.

I am gaining ground with this one, at least narrowing down the issues....

Thanks,
Steve

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”