How to legally obtain MOL access / CPS

Moderator: Queue Moderator

codefoxed
New User

How to legally obtain MOL access / CPS

Post by codefoxed »

Hi there,

I've just become the proud(?) owner of a UHF DP4800, a pair of Impres batteries, USB programming cable (official Motorola, even, still in the bag! :o) and Impres charger dock. I'd love to get this little beauty on the DMR-MARC network, and I even have a DMR-ID for it.

The problem is, the former owner couldn't arrange a copy of CPS for me. "You need to get MOL access", he said. So I filled out the form (including an explanation that I'm a licensed radio amateur in the relevant field and what I want to do), and I got a very polite form letter which basically said "MOL access isn't for you, for thou art not a Distributor, go to our website at motorolasolutions.com and enjoy looking at our wonderful products." I've replied to that email but heard nothing further back.

I've heard rumours of hams managing to pierce the Great Wall of the Central Bureaucracy and find a sympathetic soul who filled out the relevant paperwork, crossed the T's and dotted the I's, and arranged MOL access for them so they could give Motorola a not insignificant sum and obtain a small silver disc encoded with the magic letters "C.P.S.". But I can't even get past the guy at the front gate.

All the guys I know just hand their radios to "the Moto guy" for programming, but he hasn't been to the radio club meets in several months and nobody's heard hide nor hair of him... So even that isn't an option.

I'd really rather not pirate CPS. If I can do this the legal, above board way, I'd like to, but Ol' Mother M are really making me work for their love!

I've tried the local Motorola dealer. He was... somewhat blunt. "Why the *expletive* would I sell you that?! Even if it weren't illegal, which it is, I'd be undercutting my business!"... One of the nationals was a bit more friendly, but they only deal with B2B. Which I can totally understand, why bother spending an hour dealing with a ham who'll buy one radio and go away when you can spend your time selling a dozen or a hundred radios to Billy Megabucks Building Services Inc. Ltd. LLC?

So, cutting to the chase... Does anyone know how one goes about legally obtaining EMEA-region MOTOTRBO CPS (I believe it's part number GMVN5141 but could do with confirming this), or MOL access, or have any contacts who might be able to assist in my quest?

Right now I feel like I'm trying to find the Holy Grail!

Cheers,
Phil.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: How to legally obtain MOL access / CPS

Post by escomm »

Are you in the US? Motorola allows its distributors to sell CPS in EMEA. It's NA that they have the license agreement
codefoxed
New User

Post by codefoxed »

I'm in the UK, so yes, that would be EMEA.

Thanks,
Phil.
bw18
New User

Post by bw18 »

I've sent you a PM Phil.
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Post by wa8iqo »