XTS3000 Unmute issue

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AE5YY
New User
What radios do you own?: IC-7200, R100, ID-880h, XTL5k

XTS3000 Unmute issue

Post by AE5YY »

Problematic Unmuting issue with scanning of conventional P25 personalities --- See programming information below

We all start somewhere...My XTL5000 programming went off without a hitch. Maybe someone can help Elmer me on this older HT.
Newbie over here!

Okay trying to listen to simulcast system in conventional scan...by scanning the voice channels.

Radio = XTS3000
flashcode - 500008-000000-1
Q8806/G806 IMBE/APCO-25 Digital Operation
H14/G114 Digital ID Display
H38/G51 Smartzone Operation
Firmware 7.71.07
DSPN 8.03.05

It is my understanding that this radio will not NAS a P25 system with current flashcode, hence conventional scan method.

System I am scanning is Minnesota ARMER - Zone 5 - Virginia Simulcast System

I have the six voice channels programmed as receive only conventional channels...do not have Control Channel or Alt Control Channel programmed in.

Problem is...it is only Unmuting on about half of received signals during scanning. I have compared this HT with an XTL5000 mobile doing NAS on same simulcast system. Does this look like proper settings?

Settings on Conventional Personalities are:
Receive only
Squelch Type : CSQ
Unmute/Mute Type: Standard
RX Voice/Signal Type: Mixed Mode
RX Unmute Delay: 1---0ms
Squelch Fine Tune: 6
Signaling Type: MDC
System Number: 1
MDC Selective Call Decode
Unmute Type: Or
Astro Network ID
RX: F7E
Astro System 1
Digital Modulator Type: CQPSK
Late Entry Fast Unmute
RX Unmute Rule: Digital CSQ
Astro Call
Selective Call Decode

Google is my friend...I have exhaustively searched and tried countless configurations...probably something simple that I am overlooking. Please understand I am trying to do my research and homework. Not looking for someone to do it all for me. Like I posted earlier my XTL5000 went off without a hitch. Just stumbling when it comes to this XTS3000III
I can send my codeplug if further analysis of it is needed.

Thank you
That seems easy enough, Should be a quick fix.
AE5YY
New User

Re: XTS3000 Unmute issue

Post by AE5YY »

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=22742

This is the link to the system in question. I will continue to try different configurations and update if I figure this out.
If someone is willing to offer a codeplug that I can copy from configured for monitoring that would be greatly appreciated.
Until then...I will be content to monitor from the mobile radio.

AE5YY (Cody)
flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

Post by flyinace09 »

Well for one: The XTS3000 CAN do P25 trunking with a specific firmware version and feature set. That might help with some of that.
IIRC the firmware version is 06.72.00 and that can have P25 Trunking added. However at that point you might as well grab a surplus XTS5000 off eBay for $120-150 and save yourself the headache.
AE5YY
New User

Post by AE5YY »

I understand that it is capable with firmware change...just seemed more trouble than it's worth(as you noted). I was just hoping to get better unmuting of squelch as this site isn't that busy. Just doesn't seem to unmute on all the traffic that my XTL5000 follows. Not sure what the hangup is. I will keep trying.

Appreciate the response, I do plan on acquiring an XTS5000 to replace this HT. But I scored this radio for $30 and figured I would try to get some use out of it.
AE5YY
New User

Post by AE5YY »

I believe I have achieved the best possible combination of settings. Appear to be receiving the majority of traffic. I appreciate the opportunity to post my question/problem here even if I didn't get any responses before resolution. I would still be interested in finding someone local to Minnesota willing to flash this for a reasonable fee to 9600 trunking. But for now I will be content with conventional scanning.

Thank you and 73
AE5YY ( Cody )
flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

Post by flyinace09 »

XTS3000s in 800 we kept simply for 8TAC use for disaster operations.

I am not a huge fan of NAF Scan so I don't know what the issue could be in programming - but the ability for the radio to listen to the control channel does have a lot to do with the ability to receive traffic. Otherwise you're just scanning and hoping to hear traffic as the radio scans instead of the radio listening to the control channel and steering the radio to the frequency it needs to listen to.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”