Anyone here install a late model Explorer?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Anyone here install a late model Explorer?

Post by giguchan »

Hey all,
Wondering if there any people here who've installed a late model Ford explorer. Having looked around for a used Tahoe they're almost as expensive a newer one.

The Local Pd's and other Law Enforcement teams have them. I haven't had the chance to look inside and see how easy they are to install. I Think the next time i see one at the local 2 way shop i'll have a look see. I like the idea of the Havis "no drill" system... just unbolt the center console and install theirs. I know they have it for the Chevy.. just hoping they do for the Explorer too.
Thanks.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Anyone here install a late model Explorer?

Post by FireCpt809 »

Every day..what do you need to know? If you are talking about a non police package the console is part of the vehicle and the shifter can not be moved. The police package has the shifter on the column for this reason. There are some manufacturers who do make a console that fits in place of the flip up armrest you are limited to maybe 2 -3 pieces of equipment in there
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey there,
The vehicles I've been looking at are not Police pkg equipped. I know in the case of the 14' Chevy Tahoe there was a console that slid in the place of factory one.I was hoping the Shifter was on the column of the civilian models.

I am interested in mounting 2 CDM heads and a scanner- thats it. (which model scanner?not sure of yet)I've been out of the 2 way game for a while.. I don't know what's current anymore.. I mean if there is a smaller "something" that will do what the CDM will do i'm listening. I have never had a Police pkg anything before.. I can only guess that because i see so many around that they will do the job nicely.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

I forgot to ask.... which Manufacturers are you talking about? which will fit in the armrest?
Thanks.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

Had to do some digging but I knew I had seen a console for the civilian package of explorer.

Here you go: https://www.havis.com/products/CON_VS_1 ... 51289.html
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Thanks Guys,
This is indeed what i am looking for... I would've stuck with the chevy. A clean one with not a lot of miles is almost the same price as a late model Explorer.. Funny... when i'm ready to buy all the deals vanish.

Thanks again.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I always stay with Troy Products consoles - built like tanks and the rails are almost indestructable.
The Havis console aluminum rails crumble away after 2 or 3 times of removing the radio.
I have no ties to Troy - just have used most of them and find Troy the best not just in the
manufacturing but the support as well. Good to see ya back here gig
fineshot1
NJ USA
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey Man,
Thanks for the information. It's good to know.. I think my old Volly Squad had a similar issues with their Havis Consoles. I they they continued to use them because "well we've always used them".
Great to hear from you too.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”