How to program a large number of channels?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFguy

How to program a large number of channels?

Post by RFguy »

I have a requirement to program a XPR2500 or a XPR5550e with 100+ conventional channels (it may end up being around 200 channels).

Are there any shortcuts?

I would love an import utility to import a CVS file with RX, TX, PL tones, alias etc.

Anything to keep me from spending a few hours entering and checking each frequency.

Thoughts?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: How to program a large number of channels?

Post by com501 »

If you have another (or several) Trbo radios you can drag channels, Zones or contacts from them into the new radio.
Other than that, take frequent breaks, stand up and stretch, and stay hydrated!
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I found the answer. Hytera.

They have an import utility. A simple spreadsheet/CVS file.

It's disappointing that Motorola doesn't have some method to import channel info into their radios.
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

RFGuy, you have to remember that there are very few commercial or public safety users who change their operating frequencies even annually, unlike some amateur operators (you know who you are) who feel they need to access every possibly active frequency within a 200 mile range. The FCC doesn't allow user [front-panel] programming or VFOs for radios operating under Part 90 or Part 95 rules.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Try programming radios for multiple mining sites. They change, add, delete, change encryption, RAS and everything else on sometimes a seasonal basis. We have some customers who have so many mine sites in their radios, the channel pool is full and a second (and even third) channel pool is required to accomodate all the roam sites.

Glad you found a utility.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (3xxx/5xxx/7xxx/SL) 2.0 Series Subscribers”