MSI Service Suppport Bulletin: MTN-0197-21-NA APX Mobile O3 Handheld Control Head Transition Notification

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

MSI Service Suppport Bulletin: MTN-0197-21-NA APX Mobile O3 Handheld Control Head Transition Notification

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Has the PMUN1034 HH 03 control head been discontinued? If so, will there be a replacement?
alex
Administrator

Re: MSI Service Suppport Bulletin: MTN-0197-21-NA APX Mobile O3 Handheld Control Head Transition Notification

Post by alex »

It looks like they are just releasing a "B" revision head because of supply issues with components.

You can still buy an "O3" but they are removing support for the A revision and require specific firmware version to use the newer version of the control head.

I would anticipate that you will not be able to use the "B" revision with an XTL and it'll only support APX using R21 firmware or higher.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
ASTROMODAT

Re: MSI Service Suppport Bulletin: MTN-0197-21-NA APX Mobile O3 Handheld Control Head Transition Notification

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I am using the 03 HHCH (PMUN1034F) with my APX8500HP, both of which I bought new from Motorola in Oct 2019. I am also running CPS 25.00.00, and Tuner R25.00 on my Windows 10 PC. Alex, how do I load the latest HHCH firmware into the 03 HHCH? Is this done automatically whenever I load the current APX family FW into the 8500? Or, do I need to separately also load the latest HHCH firmware into the 03, such as via the current Tuner R25 SW? Thanks!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

It does it automatically - you don't have to do anything special like Astro25. The APX products automatically flash themselves. That's why the CPS says you can disconnect the radio before the radio is done flashing. The APX Software copies the firmware to the radio then the radio goes through the process of flashing itself and it's connected components. If you watch the flash sequence you will see the radio reboot a number of times and one step will be the head going in to FlashZap mode. Once it does this that's a sign of the radio upgrading the control head.
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

OK, roger that, Alex. But, I upgraded to the current v25.00.00 firmware whilst I had my 02 head connected. So, if I subsequently connect the 03 HHCH to this particular radio, will it then auto upgrade the HHCH at that time, or is it necessary to have whatever CH you want to use at the time new firmware is loaded? About half of our radios use the 02 CH, whilst our other APX8500 radios use the 03 HHCH. Thanks for your help, Alex!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Just change the head. That's all you need to do these days. It'll run through it's flash sequence and upgrade (or downgrade) the firmware in the head to match the operational firmware level in the radio. Keep in mind that when you change the head it'll do this process on first boot if it's required so plan that in your change over time. This does not happen in XTL (Astro 25) and you must use the CH Resync feature if you are moving around O5's between APX/XTL (though sometimes it "just works").

With E5 and now I guess the "B" revision O3 - you can only use them in R21 or greater firmware radios.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Wow, very cool! So, may I bug you with one other 03 HHCH peculiarity? I’ve noticed whenever I turn-on the APX8500 radio (by pressing the power button on top of the HHCH), I almost immediately see ‘APX8500’ appear on the 03’s LCD display, but the LCD backlight is NOT yet on, thus it’s a bit hard to even read the display. But, within a few more seconds, the green LED power button then lights up, and the LCD display then comes on. I seem to recall the 03 HHCH would display ‘APX7500’ almost immediately, whilst simultaneously lighting-up the LCD display. Is this LCD backlight display behavior a change associated with the APX8500 radio?

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”