Maxtrac Recieve Problems

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

allanb44
New User

Maxtrac Recieve Problems

Post by allanb44 »

Hi
I recently aquired a Maxtrac Model # D43MJA7JA5AK I didnt test it out just took a person word that it worked .
So I just reprogrammed it and all went well but after testing it for tsmt/rec I have found that it will transmit
but will not recieve on any channel. I then proceeded to check my programming for mistakes or whatever and
have found all to be ok. Speaker is working etc/ etc

Thanks for your time
AllanB
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Re: Maxtrac Recieve Problems

Post by PETNRDX »

Two most common problems are VCO out of lock and broken IF crystal.
If the radio was originally on say the 160 mhz range and you program in a ham freq in two meters, then the VCO coil needs to be
turned out to near the top of the coil can.
More common is bad IF crystal.
The only way to verify the bad crystal is to have a service monitor or sensitive receiver "listen" near the IF crystal inside the radio.
If the crystal is good, you will hear it on 44.645 mhz.
If you don't hear a "carrier" on 44.645 something is wrong with the IF, usually the crystal is bad or broken.
Kinda common for the leads on the IF crystal to break if the radio is dropped.
There are other things it could be, but those are the two I have seen the most.
Steve K.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

The connector between the two boards gives a lot of trouble like frequency drift. It might affect receive. Be sure to clean it when you have the boards separated.
"The world runs on radio."
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

Seconded on the IF crystal. I've fixed quite a few Maxtracs that were deaf as a post until the crystal was changed.

Also make sure you don't accidentally have a PL/DPL attached to your modes.

Return to “Radio Programming”