Packet TNC with Spectra A4

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nc5p
What radios do you own?: XPR5550 XTL5000 XTS2500(V&U)

Packet TNC with Spectra A4

Post by nc5p »

Can somebody verify the connections of a packet tnc (KPC-3) to a spectra A4? This is just a 1200 baud packet radio. Do I need to program the radio any special way to enable operation (accept audio from pin 1 and ptt from pin 13)? I know that some radios have to have the external input enabled or put into data modem mode. I am guessing pin 1 TX Audio would be the transmitted Bell 202 data from the TNC, pin 13 the PTT line, and pin 11 the received audio signal. I would like to still be able to use the microphone for phone operation from time to time, if it is possible.

Thanks,

Doug Hanz
NC5P/AFA6DL
kb9mqu

Re: Packet TNC with Spectra A4

Post by kb9mqu »

nc5p wrote:Can somebody verify the connections of a packet tnc (KPC-3) to a spectra A4? This is just a 1200 baud packet radio. Do I need to program the radio any special way to enable operation (accept audio from pin 1 and ptt from pin 13)? I know that some radios have to have the external input enabled or put into data modem mode. I am guessing pin 1 TX Audio would be the transmitted Bell 202 data from the TNC, pin 13 the PTT line, and pin 11 the received audio signal. I would like to still be able to use the microphone for phone operation from time to time, if it is possible.

Thanks,

Doug Hanz
NC5P/AFA6DL
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I have exactly the same question. I need to set up a packet digipeater and I'd rather use my old Spectra than a cheap ham mobile.

I know the accessory pins are on the batlabs Spectra page, I'm just not certain which ones to use and whether I need to set anything special in RSS. Thought I'd ask before I blow up a perfectly good radio =)

My Spectra is a dash mount A4.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”