VRS Band Switching

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dog pecker gnat

VRS Band Switching

Post by dog pecker gnat »

I've read on here that VRS 750's are basically HT750's on the inside. I have a desperate need for a VHF VRS 750 and can't find one. However, I have a couple of UHF VRS 750's....Can I swap the HT750 Guts for an HT750 I have in VHF and it work?
kt2728

Re: VRS Band Switching

Post by kt2728 »

Probably not, the firmware in the spare handheld tells the radio its a hand held radio not a vrs. if you swap it out it wont talk to the mobile radio.

are you trying to use a UHF mobile with a VHF portable?
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
dog pecker gnat

I've got some UHF stuff that I'm wanting to listen to that honestly has crappy range, or I'm far away from. We primarily use VHF around here, so I've got an XTS2500 that I use and my car I've got VHF and UHF astro spectras. I already repeat the VHF stuff to a little cheapie UHF radio just in case im in a hole or something, but I have a greater need to rebroadcast UHF over VHF right now.
I've been to almost every forum, website etc posting looking for a VHF VRS, but other than "Harry Smith" scammers, nothing.
I know I have other options, but as much $$ as I have in astro equipment, that's how it has to be at this point.
kt2728

Post by kt2728 »

you can in-band repeat the uhf stuff pretty easy. just find an itinerant freq as far from what you are using in your mobile on. then try to put your antennas on different ground planes. If your mobile antenna is on the roof put the vrs antenna on the fender. you may have to use a mobile uhf filter, but i have heard of guys doing this without using filters and it has worked.

If you really need to carry the VHF portable then this wont work for you. i understand the trying to find the VHF vrs units. i finally found a couple of them a year ago for some in band vrs systems.i looked for them for 2-3 years. I am sorry but they are not for sale at this time. you might try to find the VRS- EP units i believe they are crystal controlled on the freq, but the tones are programmable just like the VRS750. it will also do the channel steering.

kt
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few APXs

Post by pluto1914 »

If your interested in parting ways with a UHF VRS750 I am interested!
dog pecker gnat

no, i dont want to sell the ones I have - I would trade my UHF for a VHF, even with a few dollars added in.

I just thought having all the parts there (VRS, ht750) would have been a win-win, but oh well.

if anyone figures anything out or has or finds a repeater let me know.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”