MTX8000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

spidertat2man
New User

MTX8000

Post by spidertat2man »

I am using MTS2000 CPS R01.08.00 Tuner R01.01.00 RVN4176K Software. I keep getting an error message "Unsupported Model Not an MTS2000 model" . I have tried this on MTX838, MTX8000 and MTX800 to no avail. Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? The software seems to be communicating with the radio, however, it does not recognize the MTX8000 as a supported model. Am I missing something?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: MTX8000

Post by escomm »

Yes, what you're missing is the correct RSS. MTS2000 CPS only works with MTS2000 radios. You need DOS MTSX RSS to program all the radios you listed in your post. Hope this helps
spidertat2man
New User

Post by spidertat2man »

Yes, it does. I thought that might be the case. I was under the impression that the mtsx software was included with the RVN4176K, however, I do not see the file on the disk. Thank you
guy being a guy
On Moderation

Post by guy being a guy »

Just throwing it out there....
Are you SURE its actually an MTS series ?
Could it possibly ACTUALLY be an HT1000 and a previous technician just threw on a MTS front cover or rear chassis ?
Open it and then look at the RF board sticker - google that # and that is ACTUALLY what you have and what the software wants to "see".
The tech's in Mexico used to recase GP300's with P110 plastic housings, they did it on the GTX line as well - drove me CRAZY !!!
Why did they do it - the COST of the P110 battery was far less :)
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

guy being a guy wrote:Just throwing it out there....
Are you SURE its actually an MTS series ?
Could it possibly ACTUALLY be an HT1000 and a previous technician just threw on a MTS front cover or rear chassis ?
Open it and then look at the RF board sticker - google that # and that is ACTUALLY what you have and what the software wants to "see".
The tech's in Mexico used to recase GP300's with P110 plastic housings, they did it on the GTX line as well - drove me CRAZY !!!
Why did they do it - the COST of the P110 battery was far less :)

Ummm, he isn't using MTS2000 radios....he said he's tried MTX8000 and MTX838 radios, but he's using MTS2000 CPS, that's why it isn't reading them, as they require the old DOS MTSX RSS.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Will

Post by Will »

And, anyway the controller board is what is the RSS or CPS looks at.

And the MTSX RSS only runs in DOS. Does not work on a windows machine.
Last edited by Will on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spidertat2man
New User

Post by spidertat2man »

Now I'm really stumped! I have installed MTSX R06.08.00 RSS on a Windows 98 2nd Edition Pentium 4 Machine. I also went out and purchased the following equipment: Original Moto RLN4008B with 12 V external power supply and a 9V internal battery installed, Original Moto RKN4035D Radio to RIB Test Cable and a Moto 3080369B72 RIB to Computer Cable. The RSS loads and I have gone in and set an archive file name, changed from COM 1 to COM 2 and then hit F6 (COM TEST) and I repeatedly get the Error Message: "Warning Communication With Radio Failed" >CANNOT ACQUIRE BUSY LINE ERROR< Retry Last Command Again. The radios I have are all MTX8000 or MTX838. I have tried to slow the baud rate down on COM1 and COM2 but this makes no difference. I believe I have all the right equipment to do this, which leads me to believe that I have something set wrong or perhaps the processor is too fast. I did try a Pentium III and I get the same results. I do have a couple of Win95 machines and w WIN3.1 Machine, would it be the computer processor causing my communication problems? Any ideas to try?
spidertat2man
New User

Post by spidertat2man »

Thanks to wavetar for the correct info. Back to the book and some more reading to learn more! Thank you so much for your help.

Return to “Radio Programming”