Information on Q2808A COntroller

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

detschel
New User
What radios do you own?: X9000, Syntor X, Micor

Information on Q2808A COntroller

Post by detschel »

HI, I am wondering if anyone can identify and perhaps point to a source of information, about what appears to be a repeater remote control. It is marked Q2808A, is connected to a Spectra Tac chassis, and was used in a cross band DVP Micor repeater.
I've looked in all of the usual places.
Any pointers to info welcome.
Thanks
Bill
K2BFD
guy being a guy
On Moderation

Re: Information on Q2808A COntroller

Post by guy being a guy »

For me the key words I picked up on were..........."appears to be a repeater controller" AND "spectra tac chassis".
What this "repeater controller" actually is , is a voter and somewhere should be a compairator (?)........
Spectra Tac and this Micor repeater are OLD ! I guess it has value to someone out there :)
How is it used you ask ?
Lets say you have a 100 watt transmitter ( which this Micor possibly is ) and that thing talks and covers EVERY nook and cranny of your city. It even covers the next city over the mountain range .TX is NO problem !!!
BUT..........
Portables can't get into the repeater from some spots, or maybe once you cross a mountain ridge and go over into the next valley. We put a "RX only" radio over in that valley and the portables get into it fine. Well, we run a "link" on an old Telco copper line back to the main repeater. This is the path the RX audio travels on to reach the repeater over in the adjacent city.
The Spectra tac then "votes" which receiver is the "cleanest". I can't have 2 recievers feeding the repeater ,so I need to decide or "vote" ,which one do I like the best. For each dead spot we throw in another "RX only" radio and run Telco lines back to the repeater. Each "RX only" radio then has a card installed in the Spectra Tac. If you see 5 cards .....you have 4 receivers and then 1 comparater for them. It "compares" all 4 receivers to "vote" on which one to use for repeating.
Basically the equipment your asking about does the voting and selects the clean receiver audio and places it on the repeater to then be repeated out on that Micor at 100 plus watts.
Hope I helped ..........
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

Q2808a sounds like a part number for a transistor.
Typically Motorola assembly numbers are three or four letters followed by numbers, then a number or two.
And is this thing connected to a Spectra-Tac receiver or the Spectra-Tac comparator?
The comparators have the power supply on the right, and 10 "card slots" on the left. The receiver chassis has the RX on the left, and 4 "card slots" on the right.
There are centuries of Micor experience on here.
One of us is bound to know something.
Steve K.
detschel
New User
What radios do you own?: X9000, Syntor X, Micor

Post by detschel »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I do recognize the spectra tac chassis, it is the other unit has the number Q2808A. This is the one I am wondering about.

Motorola has used this numbering scheme for DVP stuff, for instance the Q2980A Digitac, Q2208C Securenet Comparator. It is connected between the spectra tac and the repeater chassis. The number is on a model plate on the rack unit case. There is also a QCN6118A stamped on the unit, which is as you mention the usual Motorola component number format. There is s a fold down front panel, which contains a two digit LED display. There are selector knobs for Simplex Freq and Repeat Freq, and this selection is displayed in the LED's. There are toggle switches for Repeat Disable, Transmit Coded, and PL disable along with some others.
Inside is a logic board, with DIP Switches labled S1 Test1, Station FUnction Address, S3Test2, and S4 Station PTT Address. There is a card cage in the rear, which contains one card marked "Receiver RX-100A".
So, it is some form of controller for the repeater, and what I am wondering of it is some kind of digital remote. I have never seen one of these, it does not resemble any of the DVP stuff I have seen before. The whole unit was an SP, it was DVP and cross band repeat (VHF / UHF) and on government frequencies, so probably FBI surplus or similar. As you mentioned it was wired for use with the Spectratc and could be some kind of voter - but it is pretty complicated to just be for that purpose.
Again, thanks - I am just trying to decide if it is worth keeping or not.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

PETNRDX wrote: Typically Motorola assembly numbers are three or four letters followed by numbers, then a number or two.
Not with system equiment. For example, the base model for a AstroTAC reciever is a T5589. Base model for a Quantar is a T5365
d119

Post by d119 »

It's likely part of the DVP equipment used to interface console equipment. Can you snap some photos and attach them?
RF Geezer

Post by RF Geezer »

Bill

I beleive you have one of the many Speacial Product builds for Uncle Sam. I have the VHF version, with some changes.

The QCN6118A is the control head. The Red display will indicate by number which channel group frequency is selected. There
are toggle switches for TX, TX Coded, Remote Disable, Receiver PL Disable, Transmit selection for Group1 or Group2 and rotory switches under the Red Display for Group 1 and Group 2 transmit selection. The QCN6118A PC board behind the flip down panel is a QRN8351B.

From top to bottom:
QLN2750A Shielded heavy metal enclosure, contains all TX Channel Elements. Connects to Exciter 1 and Exciter 2.
TLD1694E 100 watt Continuous Duty PA RG IV 162-174 mHz.
QCN6118A Control Console/Head.
SP exciter only chassis with interconnect board for a unified chassis. Hard wired to Unified chassis below. No CE's
TCN1301A SP01 Unified Chassis Securenet. Modified for connection by large telephone and Molex connections to the various station chassis's. Cards: Voice Protection, Code Detect, Code Processor, Clear Operation Alarm, TOT,Station Control, LDM 4 Wire. Back Plain QRN8444B.Receiver has 5 Channel Elements. Exciter has no Channel Elements
DVP Spectra Tac receiver RG IV 162-174 mHz. 6 channel elements. Cards DVP Audio Control, Coded Sq Module, Encode and Recovery and Voice Protection Module. Modified housing for DB25 connector for station harness, No powersupply. Power is from Unified Chassis. A heavy duty T/R relay resides in the receiver's Power supply area.
TPN1110A High current Non- switcher power supply.

Looks like I'm out of typing room. I have photos. Regards Brad Mechem
livcyxingfoe
New User

Post by livcyxingfoe »

The comparators have the power supply on the right, and 10 "card slots" on the left. The receiver chassis has the RX on the left, and 4 "card slots" on the right.There are centuries of Micor experience on here.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”