XTL 5000 Problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sscfpdff
New User

XTL 5000 Problem

Post by sscfpdff »

I'm having a problem with an XTL 5000. Front and rear heads (W5) both display FL 01/90 and will not cycle on. Can anyone tell me what the FL 01/90 indicates?
Jim202

Re: XTL 5000 Problem

Post by Jim202 »

sscfpdff wrote:I'm having a problem with an XTL 5000. Front and rear heads (W5) both display FL 01/90 and will not cycle on. Can anyone tell me what the FL 01/90 indicates?

Typically the 01/90 error is a serial bus problem or a control head not talking to the radio.

Have you checked that the high current 12 volt feed at the rear of the radio is connected and has the +12 volts and ground present?

With the W5 control heads, this has to be an older radio. Is this a new radio to you, or is this an existing installation?

Has anything changed with the installation?

Jim
guy being a guy
On Moderation

Post by guy being a guy »

Yep, Fail 01/90 are the heads not talking to the radio.

I know with Spectras mounted in say an ambulance with a front and rear control heads..............There was indeed a "master" and a "slave" control head. The radio knew which control cable end needed to see which head - mix them and you get a "Fail 01/90". Swap heads and cycle the power to see.

I had a run of preinstalled systems on new ambulances ( about 10 in all !), where I even had then to re run the darn control cables so the "Master" was up front like it should be, and "Slave" in the back - what a pain that was !!

Not having power in the individuals head's conrol cable ( green and orange wires ) would do it as well . Display would light and show "Fail 01/90" so you thought it was powered up, but it was not.
sscfpdff
New User

Post by sscfpdff »

Jim202,

Thank you for your response. This is an older radio which was just moved to a new vehicle. In order to install the rear head in the bed area of a capped pickup truck, the 25 pin connector had to be removed from the cable going to the rear head. I thought I had followed the pinout as it existed when installing the new head but perhaps (read probably) I screwed it up. I'll check it our and see if the wiring matches the assignements on the old connector. Thanks for your assistance.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”