Sprint Provides 60-Day Notice For iDEN Shutdown

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_disp ... ew_id=3515

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated ... ed_Network

I was debating whether I should post this here or not, but in my way of thinking iDen is, or I will soon say was, actually an SMR in my way of thinking. At least originally, as I recall. Anyway, I have got to imagine that what little end user equipment is still in circulation here in the United States has to be available at "fire sale" prices. That is, if there is any value to any remaining end user equipment. I have read that Nextel Mexico is still in business running iDen and Southern LINC in a few southern states in the US on iDen, so it might be a windfall for some people. Does anybody happen to know what other iDen systems left in the US? Is ARINC or others still using iDen?
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: Sprint Provides 60-Day Notice For iDEN Shutdown

Post by N4KVE »

It was fun while it lasted. Sorry to see it go. I still have some handsets from different times. The newer ones still work on Direct Talk. GARY
KD8GWD
was fordcobra04

Post by KD8GWD »

We were still using iDEN at work up until about 2 weeks ago, They replaced our i530's with the Sprint equivalent and they are TERRIBLE. No service in our building, and it barely works outside the building. Sprint's Direct Connect is a JOKE.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Great news for SMR, I can see MotoTRBO and NXDN orders like crazy over the next few weeks.
PTT over cellular is like putting lipstick on a pig, sometimes its okay to call the baby ugly.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

N4KVE wrote:.....I still have some handsets from different times. The newer ones still work on Direct Talk.....
Yes, I do, too. In fact, I used them on our Caribbean cruise over a year ago on the ship and they were handy to have on board. So much so, that I might just pick up one or more additional units. It looks like some of the i365s units came with a fixed antenna. I might be leaning towards one of those with the thought that it may have better range. Or, I might go for a Nextel Titanium because of the Android functionality. That would allow me to install on board maps for the GPS and have a simplex walkie-talkie! On the other hand, I might spring for a Motorola R765 or just buy some Motorola DTR550s. Does anybody know if the R765s will work on Direct Talk with units like the i580? I seem to recall that the DTR550 with NOT work with Nextel Direct Talk, but I want to verify that the R765 units will.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

There are still a number of private systems still in use mainly by utility companies. I don't expect these to go away anytime in the near future. Big problem is that there is no new radio equipment in the pipeline. What you have is what you got for radio units now.

Jim
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Well, I was wondering about that, too. Obviously you make an excellent point. Would there still be a demand from the SouthernLINC end suers or have they decided to convert everything to a combination GSM/iDEN hybrid? What about equipment for Nextel Mexico? Or is the fate of Nextel Mexico going to be the same as here in the United States?
eleet

Post by eleet »

I thought ARINC had systems at the Washington airports. Last time I was looking around up there it seems like they had moved to p25.

I really liked iDEN but Motorola couldn't have done a worse job selling it if it were ice in the sahara.
guy being a guy
On Moderation

Post by guy being a guy »

I just had to change over myself.
I had an I576 and Sprint sold me a Iphone 4S as a "transition" phone for $50. I LOVE my new phone to say the least. I also was happy with the price and service Sprint gave me - no complaints.
Last edited by jmr061 on Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Can't post items for sale
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Jim202 wrote:There are still a number of private systems still in use mainly by utility companies. I don't expect these to go away anytime in the near future. Big problem is that there is no new radio equipment in the pipeline. What you have is what you got for radio units now.

Jim
Southern LINC is transitioning to TETRA, SoCo was one the largest (and first) private iDEN systems.
It will be only a matter of time before iDEN ends up in the big blue scrap pile beside Privacy Plus, Smartnet and other network technologies of yesteryear- buried right next to our analog Saber rados and STX821's.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Does anybody here happen to know if the Motorola r765 off-network MOTOtalk simplex is fully compatible with all other Nextel Direct Talk capable units?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

wonder how long till ham get there hands on the old stuff and try and put it on900
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

KitN1MCC wrote:wonder how long till ham get there hands on the old stuff and try and put it on900
The nice thing is you don't have to be a ham to use Direct talk. Anybody can use it license free. With the Nextel system off the air, these phones will be going cheap on auction sites. A pair of these will work much better than bubble pack radios. GARY
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

MTS2000des wrote:Great news for SMR, I can see MotoTRBO and NXDN orders like crazy over the next few weeks.
PTT over cellular is like putting lipstick on a pig, sometimes its okay to call the baby ugly.
Agreed- this is the biggest opportunity for SMR to get back customers they lost to Nextel.

Day wireless has their TRBOWest system here in the PNW. If they know what's good for them, they'll get the sales team in full force to convert existing Nextel users.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Since most of SMR was on 800, & Sprint is turning the Nextel SMR 800 freq's into their CDMA phone system, where will these new SMR companies operate? GARY
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

N4KVE wrote:Since most of SMR was on 800, & Sprint is turning the Nextel SMR 800 freq's into their CDMA phone system, where will these new SMR companies operate? GARY
UHF/MotoTRBO... LTR providers of stand-alone sites out here have transitioned them to Connect PLUS TRBO a over the past year, it wouldn't be hard to sway Nextel users with the SL7550... but then again the cost factor of new TRBO radios as opposed to new/with Contract pricing will be the tough part, and perhaps coverage.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i think some users would do good with an installed radio instead of a handheld as well less of chance of some one forgetting there phone/radio
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”