XTL5000 W5 Power Up

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cogburne
New User

XTL5000 W5 Power Up

Post by cogburne »

I have an older XTL500 (2003ish) with W5 control head. It is connected to a console and powered by an Astron power supply. Both the ignition sense pin and main power cable are attached at the same place. When the power supply loses AC power, and then returns, the radio remains off. The front panel power button has to be pressed to make the radio power on. The problem is that it is a remote location from the console and no one notices when it has been powered off inadvertently. The ignition sense choices in the CPS are limited to blank, tx inhibit and PTT tx inhibit. I currently have it set to blank.
Any idea how I can make it power on without having to push the front panel button?
Jim202

Re: XTL5000 W5 Power Up

Post by Jim202 »

cogburne wrote:I have an older XTL500 (2003ish) with W5 control head. It is connected to a console and powered by an Astron power supply. Both the ignition sense pin and main power cable are attached at the same place. When the power supply loses AC power, and then returns, the radio remains off. The front panel power button has to be pressed to make the radio power on. The problem is that it is a remote location from the console and no one notices when it has been powered off inadvertently. The ignition sense choices in the CPS are limited to blank, tx inhibit and PTT tx inhibit. I currently have it set to blank.
Any idea how I can make it power on without having to push the front panel button?

I could be wrong, but I think you can change a jumper inside the control head to make it power up on power being applied. There have been a number of threads on this subject. Try a search for W5 power up.

Jim
cogburne
New User

Post by cogburne »

Couldn't find it here but did find an answer. Jumper JU7 in the control head.

Thanks
Will

Post by Will »

That should do the power up.

Be sure to use 1 amp fuses in the Green and Orange leads, better to blow a fuse than destroy the radio. Astron power supplies CAN surge, be safe.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”