Quantar Question(s)

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

TX_Shooter
New User

Quantar Question(s)

Post by TX_Shooter »

Here we go again.

My latest adventure takes me to an AFB that has one Quantar that they're thinking of re-appropriating for our Unify (Siemens) project; to be interfaced with our CSI Flex II Universal Radio Controller. Problem is, neither he nor I know very much about how to interface it for remote usage and channeling. He did state that it has been used with a CPI remote desktop product before, but couldn't state if it was for a single channel or multiple, nor what model the CPI unit was.

In my brief research, I did find that the Quantar is capable of remote channeling, but I couldn't tell if a specific Motorola option was required (hardware or software), nor how exactly to wire it up for tone remote channeling / keying.

1) What questions do I need to ask him in order to determine what we have, and what we'll need to do to make our system work with this radio?
2) If this radio already has the capability by default, can anyone provide instructions on how to wire / enable it for 4-Wire TRC (connector / pin number)?

Many thanks,
TXShooter
Bill_G

Re: Quantar Question(s)

Post by Bill_G »

Welcome back.

Someone can check for a wireline card installed next to the control board. But, the best way is to just read the station - laptop, null cable, and the software (RSS). The 2W and 4W tone control connector is fairly easy to locate on the back - it's the green or orange plastic piece with eight holes almost right above the rf connectors. There is also a 25pr connector you can run to a 66 block for easy xcon. The backplanes are fairly universal, but you need a service manual to describe each connector.

This unit is a little more versatile than your last one.
TX_Shooter
New User

Post by TX_Shooter »

Thank you, Bill_G.

These are the photos he sent me. When I mentioned the RSS route, he somewhat hem-hawed making it seem that he would need to call out a Motorola tech and pay a fee, and by the way that they're talking about money issues already, that's not gonna happen, but he didn't actually get to state either point... he very well could have access to the RSS, but may not want to. I dunno. Our conversation during the conference call today got interrupted.

I gather from the orange plug, with the wires on pins 3 & 4, they're using Line 2 as a 2-wire only. (I do have a copy of Chapter 3 out of the manual, "Installation", but it doesn't tell me much other than what those pins do.)

I can't tell from the photos (not that I would know what to look for) if there's a wireline card installed. Can anyone from the photos?

During this conference call he mentioned having an XTL2500 currently in play via an L3276AC to several CPI desktops, and that if we could interface with that instead, it would be an option for us. I created a new thread on this forum inquiring about the differences on the tone remote adapters (in an effort to figure out that option), so that's all that I'm gonna say about that here.

Again, Many thanks,
TXShooter
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Based on the photos, I'd say it has a wireline card. You can see the WL ON green LED on the front panel, and the orange plug is where the tone control phone lines go. It can be reconfigured for 4W via RSS. If I recall, you prefer 4W control for your telco system interface.
TX_Shooter
New User

Post by TX_Shooter »

Bill_G wrote:If I recall, you prefer 4W control for your telco system interface.
That is a correct recollection, Bill_G. However, I may need to see about using the existing 2-wire interface setup if we can't get someone to change its inputs. What's the worst that can happen if I can't get someone to get in via the RSS and change that?

Thanks,
TXShooter
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I guess I don't understand your question. The worst that could happen is it won't work.
TX_Shooter
New User

Post by TX_Shooter »

Bill_G wrote:I guess I don't understand your question. The worst that could happen is it won't work.
Then you understand my question perfectly. lol. If they can't change it to 4-wire, then we'll have to use 2-wire and just deal with what they've got. This isn't our issue, it's theirs, so they'll just have to deal with it or make changes to fit their needs.

Many thanks Bill_G,
TXShooter

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”