Motorola ASTRO spectra nightmare

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Java
What radios do you own?: Astro, XTS, XTL, WARIS

Motorola ASTRO spectra nightmare

Post by Java »

Gah, finally got a radio upgraded with a new W4 head.
Spend 3+ hours reprogramming the radio. then guess what?
The channel knob LOCKS UP..it will not turn at all. i dismantled the head thinking it was serviceable & it's not.
the only avail control head on eBay is $49 which is RIP OFF because I payed roughly $25 and mine is MINT pretty much new.
So to the point; can a standard A4 spectra head INTERNALs work inside a ASTRo spec W4? I am seeing a lot with the back looking like a W4.
Java
MRFLASHPORT

Re: Motorola ASTRO spectra nightmare

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

I have a few w4 control heads in good condition, If you need one email me jhousos@aol.com
MrFlashPort
jmfirefighter20
What radios do you own?: /\/\ AS, APX7000

Post by jmfirefighter20 »

Yes the knob electronics from an A4 will work!

However, if you are careful, you can repair the knob. I have had a few lock up and I've been able to repair them no issue. You have to take the knob flex out of the radio. Take apart the back of the channel knob assembly (watch the small detent ball bearing held in by the spring!) Once you get the metal backing off, gently pull the plastic piece out. It should come right off. Now use a pair of needle nose pliers and take off the spring holding the detent ball to the "gear" that provides the tactile feedback. Flip to the front and take off the small "C" clip that holds the shaft into the assembly. Gently tap on the front of the shaft with the end of a screw driver or small hammer; the shaft should come out.

Do a little inspection. On all the ones I've repaired, there is some scoring on the shaft and in the "tunnel" on tne main assembly. I typically gently file down the scoring on the shaft, then run the shaft under a fine wire wheel to clean it up. For the tunnel, I deburr with a small round file (like for a chainsaw) or use a sharp pen knife to remove any burrs or ridges. Clean it up real good to get any shavings out. I put a little dielectric grease on the shaft during reassembly for lubricaton. Put it back together the way you took it apart, reinstall, and you're back in service.

As a note, you may need to resolder the metal shield back on (the one that holds the volume and channel selector together). No big deal, just watch your heat, placement, and solder!

If you have any questions, let me know I'll help. If you can wait till Monday, I can do a step by step write up for you.
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

jmfirefighter20 wrote:Yes the knob electronics from an A4 will work!

However, if you are careful, you can repair the knob. I have had a few lock up and I've been able to repair them no issue. You have to take the knob flex out of the radio. Take apart the back of the channel knob assembly (watch the small detent ball bearing held in by the spring!) Once you get the metal backing off, gently pull the plastic piece out. It should come right off. Now use a pair of needle nose pliers and take off the spring holding the detent ball to the "gear" that provides the tactile feedback. Flip to the front and take off the small "C" clip that holds the shaft into the assembly. Gently tap on the front of the shaft with the end of a screw driver or small hammer; the shaft should come out.

Do a little inspection. On all the ones I've repaired, there is some scoring on the shaft and in the "tunnel" on tne main assembly. I typically gently file down the scoring on the shaft, then run the shaft under a fine wire wheel to clean it up. For the tunnel, I deburr with a small round file (like for a chainsaw) or use a sharp pen knife to remove any burrs or ridges. Clean it up real good to get any shavings out. I put a little dielectric grease on the shaft during reassembly for lubricaton. Put it back together the way you took it apart, reinstall, and you're back in service.

As a note, you may need to resolder the metal shield back on (the one that holds the volume and channel selector together). No big deal, just watch your heat, placement, and solder!

If you have any questions, let me know I'll help. If you can wait till Monday, I can do a step by step write up for you.
Now that gets an A+ for effort, damn.
jmfirefighter20

It's actually not that bad, believe it or not.

When you work in a poorly funded county radio shop, money is tight so you improvise....
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
Java
What radios do you own?: Astro, XTS, XTL, WARIS

Post by Java »

jmfirefighter20 wrote:Yes the knob electronics from an A4 will work!

thanks for that. yea that was cheaper and easier then buying a new head or assembly.
Java
jmfirefighter20

Glad I could help....I venture to guess it worked?
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”