800mhz gain antenna

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiouser

800mhz gain antenna

Post by radiouser »

I have a Motorola Spectra that runs on the 856mhz...The trunked repeaters are not that great here and I was wondering if there is any type of mobile gain antenna that will help my signal. Currently and running the "chrome curly commercial antenna" that you see on every police car in town. Thanks
Steven
aaron_tech

Antennas

Post by aaron_tech »

Hello,
Motorola sells a 5db gain 800Mhz antenna, I don't have the part number here I am at home not at the shop right now. I also know of a 5db gain glass mount by Randall/Larson antennas. One other good source is Maxrad. You can find more info out through tesco or you radio service center or call me at work 1-800-322-6503. We are a MSS, I can help you.

Aaron
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

By the description given in the original post, I'd suspect he's already using a 5dB collinear. I suppose there might be a quality issue between the different manufacturers, but I don't know about any higher gain mobile antennas. The size wouldn't be an issue at 800MHz though, so who knows.

Check the cable on that antenna. Things get very critical at 800MHz. Any flaw will be a major problem.

Good luck,
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

3dB antenna will have 1 curly coil (or enclosed coil) & the 5dB antenna will have 2 coils.

3dB length - 13" 5dB length - 24"

The 5dB antennas are normally only used in rural areas as the extra gain will only degrade reception in a high intermod metropolitan area.
The EDACS DΩRK......

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”