04 Ram - Equipment/Install ideas?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

911radio
Batboard $upporter

04 Ram - Equipment/Install ideas?

Post by 911radio »

Just got an 04 Dodge Ram QC. Looking to outfit it with a few red lights, siren and a CDM1550 along with a Kenwood TMD700a. Not sure where I am going to mount the radios so I was looking for ideas. Also wanted opinions on hideaway siren controls and some nice warning lights. No tail/corner light installs though. I already have the radios and the FS Dynamax so I am not looking for any equipment as far as those items go.
David
BAT-0909

Old Chinese Proverb -
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."
hooknladder

Post by hooknladder »

I can't give you much advice as to mounting the radios, as I left that to the owner of the vehicle. I did run the cables and it was easier than I thought. I installed a Whelen 9M strobe bar and a mobile radio. On the floor on the passenger side rear of the cab there is a metal knock out with two tabs on it. Just straighten out the tabs, pull up the carpet and push it up into the cab. This is great for your lightbar and antenna cables. For the power for the radios there is a huge harness of wires that goes through a neoprene grommet just behind the fuse panel and parking brake near the drivers left foot in the firewall. I just carefully made a slice in the grommet and siliconed it shut when I had the wires run through. I used a constant duty solenoid to power the lightbar and radios and got the ignition sense from the miniblade fuses under the hood. Can't remember which one I jumped, but be careful to check for operation in ignition run and accessory, as some work only in engine run. Anything else I can help with just ask.
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
RidgeRunner

03 dodge ram

Post by RidgeRunner »

here is a thread from when I did my 03 ram qc, I am not a firefighter or anything so I dont have lights, but you can see my radio install. Also the GTX has been replaced with a spectra!

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... +dodge+ram
911radio
Batboard $upporter

Re: 03 dodge ram

Post by 911radio »

RidgeRunner wrote:here is a thread from when I did my 03 ram qc, I am not a firefighter or anything so I dont have lights, but you can see my radio install. Also the GTX has been replaced with a spectra!

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... +dodge+ram
Thanks for the link to the post and pics. I didn't think to post that my situation was a little different because I got the Laramie edition. While the floor space in the center is free of the 2w/4w shifter, the dash pocket under the heat and A/C controld is not there. That's where Dodge mounted the electronic transfer case controls and the controls for the heated seats. I can mount radios like you did in the pics with your GTX, but they will have to sit forward some because of the center storage compartment (the handle to open it is where your GTX is). Either way it was nice to see your install! I will post how I wind up deciding to do mine.
David
BAT-0909

Old Chinese Proverb -
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”