I've been to the Dark Side (GE radios!) and it's interesting

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Elroy Jetson

I've been to the Dark Side (GE radios!) and it's interesting

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Since my local county made the wrong decision many years ago and got a GE EDACS system for the county rather than a Smartnet system, I had to adapt if I wanted to know what's going on.

So I had to control the dry heaves and buy some GE radios!

It's been a few years now since I first did that, and I can now say that I have a pretty balanced Motorola Vs. GE comparison in my mind.

Let me be perfectly honest about it.

Yes, I'd prefer it if all the systems in my area were Motorola, on principle.

But, for a hacker/underground listener, the GE/Ericsson/Comnet/Ma-Com radios are BETTER for that application.

Let me explain why.

EDACS programming software doesn't need a system key.

The programming structure for any given system is simpler than a Motorola system, for the most part.

The software doesn't give you as many configuration options, but let's face it...in some cases, Motorola software gives you so many options it's INSANE. Keeping up with all the options can get really hairy.

Case in point: I had a well loaded Astro Saber III in VHF and I managed to fill all 254 available channels in it. In the CPS, that's no less than 240 data field PER CHANNEL. That's 61,200 data fields to keep track of!

That's just downright nutty.

The only thing that's at all hairy about the EDACS programming process is that rather than enter a few control channels and that's all, on an EDACS system you have to enter every channel for a given site in a list, and that list has to have the channels in the correct order. Screw it up and the radio will miss calls. But when it's right, it never changes and you just keep the channel info in the data pool. No big deal.

You don't have to worry about size codes, either. All you need is the logical channel list for each site, and the talkgroup numbers of the groups you want in the radio. Arrange them any way you want. It's EASY.

Hacking radios:

It's not trivial, but it's by no means as complex as hacking most Motorola radios, either.

If your Astro radio has screwed up firmware, your options are limited. Tooproofed your Jedi? You may have to send it to the depot.

The radio maintenance utility that comes with the Edacs programming software allows you to totally erase the EPROM in the radio and write new DSP and firmware into the target radio. You get the DSP and firmware from another radio of the same type, using the same maintenance software.

If you have a bare bones Jaguar (or any of several other radio types) with old firmware and another one that has newer firmware and is tricked out, in 20 minutes you can have two Jags that have the newer firmware and all the features of the tricked out radio. They'll be IDENTICAL except for the serial numbers. NO SPECIAL TOOLS OR HACKING REQUIRED.

Another nice thing: True receive only operation. No fussing with any of several tricks to keep your radio from trying to log in when you don't want it to. You even get to choose if the radio has the ability to RECEIVE on a given group. You can set a radio so that it can transmit ONLY on some groups, receive ONLY on others, transmit and receive BOTH on others, and, though I don't know why you'd do it, have groups that you can't transmit OR receive in the radio.

And, you can still configure a receive only radio to place and send individual calls, if you want to!

There's a lot there to please a radio enthusiast. You can hate GE (in its current incarnation) for not being Motorola, and some of their radios ARE pretty cheap and cheesy, but when it comes to lending themselves to hackers, they're pretty easy to work with!

Another wonderful thing is the "feature encryption string" which tells the radio what features to turn on.

If your radio doesn't have many features in it, but you can get a hold of a similar radio (with the same firmware revision, hopefully), you read that radio's features with the radio maintenance software and write down the feature string. Then blow that feature string into the first radio, and you've copied all the features! Just make sure you note what string was in your radio in case something doesn't work right. You can always type in the original string again.

Essentially, it's flashport without the flashport. Just enter the proper code to turn the appropriate features on. The encrypted feature string hasn't been successfully hacked apart and explored yet as far as I know, but who cares if all you have to do is just copy the string out of a tricked out radio and blow it into your candidate?

It's been fun.

Elroy
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

I couldn't agree more.

While I'm very partial to Motorola for it's quality and what not, I've messed around with the GE Orion, MPD, MPA and LPE-200 series, and I've got to say, I like what I've seen.

The Orion (mine anyway) can do 16 zones of 128 channels, so that's what... 2048 unique channels? I'd love to see a Motorola capable of doing that.

The software is incredibly easy to use, save for a some terminology you need to learn (I didn't know what CCT or STE meant at first, which bugged me), but the help files with the software are actually HELPFUL, unlike Motorola.

That, plus the fact GE/Ericsson will give ANYBODY telephone support, and in many cases, will email you an older version of the software...you just can't beat that these days.

As for EDACS, my only question would be...what happens if the agency you're listening to adds a trunked channel, do you then have to find out what it is, and reprogram the entire radio? I'm guessing instead of having the entire 800MHz spectrum allocated with channel numbers, it uses LCN's of 1 through say, 15, to indicate the voice channels?

-Mike
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Interesting news about them emailing earlier versions.

I need to see if they can send me the PST software so I can program my S-850 Rangr control head.

As for adding trunked channels, all you have to do is go to the trunked channel set in question, add the new channel in its proper location, and reprogram the radio. And their policy is that the newest channel added is at the bottom of the LCN list.

I think that Motorola's simpler method of selecting four dedicated control channels (up to 8 in some systems and sometimes less than four, but usually four) and giving all the radios standardized channel information is a more efficient and foolproof method, though.

I don't have to say that if you don't know the channel order, it's a nightmare to figure it out!

Elroy
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

It'd be nice if they arranged the LCN frequencies in numerical order, so you always know the correct arrangement. That, or if the control channel spit out what the frequencies are. Heh.

Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

MACOM rocks, period.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

I'm currently in the process of switching out my channel-limited Spectra gear for damn near unlimited Orions.

Here are some specifics about the Orions that weren't mentioned:

Want to switch from a scan head (limited) to a system head (full feature)? Ok. Change heads, and settings in the software. Reprogram radio...you're done. No MLM swapping to change control types.

Want to run dual tray/single head or single tray/dual head? Ok. There is a full line of cables to support this. Only catch is the radios need to be the same flashcode, but as mentioned above it's a 20 min. process to do this.

Want to run a your lights/siren from the control head? Ok. Start with a System head and get the optional 200w Federal Signal SS2000-ERCSN SmartSiren. Interfaces with the radio via 1 data cable to the back of the control head enhanced options cable. No more barely 100w Sys9000 siren and fumbling with a wildcard box/relays.

Want a vehicular repeater? Ok. Get a Pryamid SVR200 in VHF, UHF or 800 MHz...they are the OEM repeater for the Orion and are software programmable. No more re-rocking the Sys9000 VRS.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

The *only* complaint I have about the Orions is that the bandwidth sucks on them. Mine is 136 to 153, which is great for 2m ham and such, but if I want to receive anything above there, I'm SOL.

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312

Post by 007 »

ExKa|iBuR wrote:The *only* complaint I have about the Orions is that the bandwidth sucks on them. Mine is 136 to 153, which is great for 2m ham and such, but if I want to receive anything above there, I'm SOL.

-Mike
Agreed. In my case, I've got the 150-174 tray and I'm waiting to find a 136-153 tray so I can run a dual tray setup. Yeah, it's twice the hardware....but it's many times more channels available :D
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

IIRC the limit is only two radios per head, so not like you can put a low-split VHF Hiband radio in with a high-split VHF Hi-band radio and a UHF radio...

Also, I'm curious as how they do they mobile repeater stuff. The local state fuzz uses a 858 MHz portable to car channel and the only thing I've seen that even looks close to like that is a Mastr II looking box bigger than the orion. Also, does the orion have programmable power levels?
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Yes, you can select TX Low Power from the menu, or you can make it a toggle button on the faceplate.

Well, if you were to get, say... the two VHF and the two UHF splits, you're all set, across the board!

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

A little market research...

Post by Wowbagger »

Is this an older, analog EDACS system, or a newer Digital EDACS system?

We've been getting requests to support EDACS on the 2975, since the COM-120 supports (analog) EDACS. I've been saying that just supporting the older analog EDACS systems like the 120 supports would not meet current market demand, as MA/COM is pushing digital and if we just did analog in the 2975 people would not be satisfied .

(Of course, if we supported Digital EDACS that could open several barrels of worms, so it's kind of important.)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
JD

MA/COMM

Post by JD »

I have been using the Panther 300M for simple UHF and VHF systems, repeat or simplex. It is a very solid well built radio and easy to program.
Receive sensitivity is excellent usaually .19 to .22uV . time will tell how they hold up.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

I modified a 153-174Mhz to a 136-160Mhz by changing the synthesizer bandwith sense resistor. A little tweaking of the VCO and padding the TX VCO and VIOLA it works. Just need to hex edit the software.
Im really impressed with these Orions

Fowler
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

abbylind wrote:I modified a 153-174Mhz to a 136-160Mhz by changing the synthesizer bandwith sense resistor. A little tweaking of the VCO and padding the TX VCO and VIOLA it works. Just need to hex edit the software.
Im really impressed with these Orions

Fowler
I have especially enjoyed my low band Orion. With a very easy modification to the software most Orions will go as far as 53 mhz without any hardware mods. Mine even went right to 55 mhz without issues.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

I'd be VERY interested in knowing how you can make a 136-153 cover the same range as your 136 to 160MHz Orion...what all is involved in changing this resistor?

Edit: I should mention.. The software sees my radio as a 136 to 160MHz radio, I can enter frequencies up to 160 in the software, but when it tries to dump it to the radio, anything over 153 will make the software stop programming, complaining that the radio only does 136 to 153, so I'm not sure what that's all about - I've never hacked the software, that's just the way it works from a fresh install.

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

The GE stuff looks really nice. Can someone clear up the software, though? Do they give out for free or do you buy it? And if you do buy it, is it *easy* to buy, unlike Motorola's?

Also, how is the eBay supply of GE/MACOM stuff? I don't know since I never check....
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Well, the Windows version costs an INSANE amount. Someone told me 10 thousand dollars once, but I find that abit hard to believe.

As for the older DOS software, if you're lucky, Ericsson will send you the old DOS software just by asking for it.

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
NodrogCop
Batboard $upporter

Post by NodrogCop »

fireradio wrote:Also, how is the eBay supply of GE/MACOM stuff? I don't know since I never check....
Well - depends on what you're looking for. I'm looking for a 146-162 Orion, and haven't found squat for a couple of weeks. Just have to be patient.

I haven't seen a UHF in months...and there are always accessories posted.

Gordon
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I haven't tried to get any software from MA/COM recently, but I heard that the EDACS software's about 1500 bucks and they won't sell to just anybody due to the "homeland security" bullhockey.

I may call them just for fun and see what they say. I do need to ask them about the records of one of these radios I have here, anyway. I think I've never had the right feature string in it and they should be able to tell me what it should be for that radio.

Elroy
abbylind

Post by abbylind »

The band sense resistor is R480 on the underside of the synthesizer board. You need to know whether you have a switchable (narrow band) or regular radio. The resisitor is a chip and fairly easy to change. If the radio sees no resistor it thinks its a 900Mhz radio
You will need to hex edit DOS software not Programmer software.
The TX VCO will need to be padded to get it to lock
The RX VCO just needed retuning
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Okay, so how do you know what value to set the resistor to, is there a chart somewhere?

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
abbylind

Post by abbylind »

Mike
Ive got the specific values at the house
For a switchable VHF you need to change R480 to 1.8K If I remember right
Read the radio.... it will show 136-160Mhz
The Low split is a 3.3K resistor I paralleled it with another 3.3K Gave me 1.65K
Worked fine

Fowler
GmanX

Post by GmanX »

Ge might give you the options to use all those channels but you will run out of system memory first
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

I just learned that for some reason, my county recently awarded a contract to a local EF Johnson dealer for portable radios. We have an 800 MHz 3600 baud Astro system.

Anyway, that prompted me to check out EF Johnson's P25 portables ... the 5100 series. Aside from a slightly unconventional appearance, they look like decent radios. I wonder how much they go for compared to an XTS. And from what I can tell, they can do encryption out of the box (no module required)!

With all these alternatives out there, I think M may run into trouble in the future if they don't shape up a little bit.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

if you guys need accys for the EF johnson stuff let me know . i sell MC Cay and out stuff works real good with EF johson as well as many others

also it would be nice if there was a GE batlabs type page
NodrogCop
Batboard $upporter

Post by NodrogCop »

KitN1MCC wrote:also it would be nice if there was a GE batlabs type page
http://radio.the161.net/
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

abbylind wrote:Mike
Ive got the specific values at the house
For a switchable VHF you need to change R480 to 1.8K If I remember right
Read the radio.... it will show 136-160Mhz
The Low split is a 3.3K resistor I paralleled it with another 3.3K Gave me 1.65K
Worked fine

Fowler
I have a couple of questions.

1) Have you ever programmed your radio with Windows Programmer? If so, does it still go out of band?

2) Does the resistor change to make the radio a 136-160 enable it to be programmed out of band with Windows Programmer?

The reason I ask is that I have had several Orions that were programmed with Windows Programmer and no matter what I did to make them go out of band, it never worked. The DOS software was modified/hex edited, but the programming would fail half way through. I only have 1 Orion left (136-153) and I'd like to monitor weather when I get back to the States. Thanks for the help.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Even though my radio is 136 to 153MHz, both the DOS software and the Windows ProGrammer software see the radio as being 136 to 160MHz. So it'll allow me to enter those frequencies, but when it actually tries to program, it complains about the bandsplit only going to 153MHz.

Weird.

I'd definatly like it to cover up to 163MHz so I could do weather.

Ideally, if I could gain 10MHz on the top and loose some on the bottom, I could deal with that.

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

I think a big part of it is that I am using EDACS software on both Windows and DOS.

The other radios had were low band 35-50 models. No luck there either. I finally sold them.
Scott
KE4FHH

Post by 007 »

Scott,

I've got a 30-50 MHz radio coming, and I'll program it first with modded EDACS4 and let you know if it works up to 53-54 MHz.

My 150-174 MHz radio has been programmed by ProGrammer, so it sounds like there is no going back with that one :-?
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

You can program with DOS after using Windows, you just can read.

I just couldn't get mine to go OOB at all, no matter what I did. I'm going to try the resistor thing next. I had mine tore apart once to find the resistor, but couldn't find it. I didn't have a lot of time to fiddle with it. Maybe I'll have better luck finding it this time...

Where EXACTLY is the resistor located? Can you upload a picture? When I looked last time, I could not find it.

Thanks!
Scott
KE4FHH
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

That's the REALLY nice thing about GE software.

If you have a radio you programmed with Windows ProGrammer, you can't read it with the older EDACS3 DOS software, but you CAN create a codeplug from scratch, or take a saved one, and dump it into the radio, so you're not SOL if you buy a used radio. It'd be nice if Motorola subscribed to this philosophy. Then again, their attitude is, anyone with the software should have it legally, in which case, they'd have the newest version anyway.

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

ExKa|iBuR wrote: If you have a radio you programmed with Windows ProGrammer, you can't read it with the older EDACS3 DOS software, but you CAN create a codeplug from scratch, or take a saved one, and dump it into the radio, so you're not SOL if you buy a used radio. It'd be nice if Motorola subscribed to this philosophy.
-Mike
Ummm, they do...or at least did. Any Motorola radio can be 'downgraded' to an earlier software version by doing what you describe above, except for the newer CP/CM/PM/PR series.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

wavetar wrote: Ummm, they do...or at least did. Any Motorola radio can be 'downgraded' to an earlier software version by doing what you describe above, except for the newer CP/CM/PM/PR series.

Todd
Say wha?

I had issues programming an MCS2000, because it was programmed with CPS, and I had an older version of RSS, it complained about the codeplug being too new for the application. I had someone email me a codeplug (I think it might have even been you...) that was programmed with the version of RSS I had access to (the older one)...the radio still wouldn't take it.

The only way I've ever heard of this being possible is with LAB.

But, generally speaking, it's never been an issue for me... my "guy" has the newest versions of the software in his shop anyway.

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

GmanX wrote:Ge might give you the options to use all those channels but you will run out of system memory first
What are you talking about?

I have my Orion packed with over 1500 channels right now, and there's still considerable room for more.

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312

Post by 007 »

SlimBob wrote:Also, I'm curious as how they do they mobile repeater stuff. The local state fuzz uses a 858 MHz portable to car channel and the only thing I've seen that even looks close to like that is a Mastr II looking box bigger than the orion.
What you are seeing is probably the Master Exec II...they have been used as vehicular repeaters for a loooooooooooooong time.

The Orion interconnects with the SVR200 via one cable, and the repeater gets it's power from the radio thru the cable. Our agency uses over 600 Orion/Pyramid setups and they work great.

Post by 007 »

ExKa|iBuR wrote:
GmanX wrote:Ge might give you the options to use all those channels but you will run out of system memory first
What are you talking about?

I have my Orion packed with over 1500 channels right now, and there's still considerable room for more.

-Mike
I've got well over 700 channels in my VHF-Hi radio...500+ more than the Spectra mounted right below it 8)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

My SRM9030's 1000 channels are enough for me, I think :)

What would you do with 2000 channels? That's enough space for every channel in the VHF high split, with a heap to spare.
Lord Windeshmere

Post by Lord Windeshmere »

We've got a township by us that uses the GE "anti-scanner" tone at the end of each EDACS transmission. Basically it makes your scanner stay on the channel just that much longer, thereby making non-manually(hitting "SCAN") following conversations a pain. I'm not familar with EDACS so forgive this question, but is it possible to monitor an EDACS trunked system with an EDACS-able portable? If so, will that take care of that anti-scanner tone I spoke about? TIA.
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

My BC780XLT takes care of the end tones nicely. On the rare occasion I'll hear all of them but almost always the transmission ends and the scanner immediately starts scanning again. Never miss a thing.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

Anyone using or know anyone using MA/COM OpenSky???

A county I used to work for is supposed to launch a OpenSky network spring '05. I'm going to try to influence mine to do the same.

I cannot stand the Michigan Public Safety Comm. System (9600 P25). Absolutely SUCKS! Its coverage compares to that of vintage 2-transistor "kiddie" walkie talkies. Voice quality- you sound like a duck with laryngitis. Also it needs some type of auto-volume adjuster. I'm sick of adjusting the volume everytime someone different talks (they should talk to Magnavox).
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

va3wxm wrote:My BC780XLT takes care of the end tones nicely. On the rare occasion I'll hear all of them but almost always the transmission ends and the scanner immediately starts scanning again. Never miss a thing.
The further away you are from the system, the better change of hearing the tones. Better signal, and its usually squechles like it was a system radio. Its a signal thing with the 780/796 scanners, and with other one's im sure.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Lord Windeshmere wrote:I'm not familar with EDACS so forgive this question, but is it possible to monitor an EDACS trunked system with an EDACS-able portable? If so, will that take care of that anti-scanner tone I spoke about? TIA.
Absolutely, positively, and of course!

I've used M-PDs, M-PAs, LPE-200s, and Jaguars for the task.

The M-PDs need a physical mod because the PST software that programs them doesn't include a receive only option (TX inhibit) that's functional on the M-PD, but then again, the M-PD has the best audio quality of any available GE radio.

M-PAs are not expensive these days and they're very, very durable and perform well in all respects.

LPEs are lightweight toys. Decent audio, but they can't play very loud and certainly are not "loud and clear". Their construction isn't very rugged, either.

Jags have slightly irritating audio qualities but are otherwise very nice radios, with notably sensitive receivers. Durability appears to be quite good and the are very easy to operate.

A properly programmed EDACS portable radio certainly does NOT play those annoyance tones. Those tones are for the benefit (annoyance) of only those who haven't spent the money to buy a trunktracking scanner .

CJ
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Just found that out the hard way... Bought up several MPDs awhile back to hand out as scanners. Was scratching my head in disbelief when the MPD continued to TX even though I told it not to on a per TG basis. Had to slightly modify the PTT's to put an end to all of that.

Elroy Jetson wrote:The M-PDs need a physical mod because the PST software that programs them doesn't include a receive only option (TX inhibit) that's functional on the M-PD, but then again, the M-PD has the best audio quality of any available GE radio.
The EDACS DΩRK......
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Yes, what I did was to punch out a steel washer (.039 thick) and place it over the PTT nipple under the PTT bar. Press as hard as you like, and you won't be able to trip that PTT switch!

Warning: You can't use a speaker-mic if you do this if you're concerned about not transmitting, as this mod won't make the speake-mic's PTT switch stop working. That's a different mod.

Elroy
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Yes, that mod is called snip the PTT wire :D

-Mike

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
Alan

Post by Alan »

The only thing that's at all hairy about the EDACS programming process is that rather than enter a few control channels and that's all, on an EDACS system you have to enter every channel for a given site in a list, and that list has to have the channels in the correct order. Screw it up and the radio will miss calls. But when it's right, it never changes and you just keep the channel info in the data pool. No big deal.
Do you mean that everytime I add a channel or have to move ones between site that I have to reprogram every radio in the fleet with the new channel list?
That is insane. The cost of that work alone would keep one or 2 full time techs busy in our systems. We add channels a couple of tiimes a year, and swap channels as required for system loading and other issues.

I find the Motorola radio don't have enough selectable features. We are always asking for more flexibility.
Glen W Christen

G E Radios

Post by Glen W Christen »

I'm late to the party but have several observations.
1) The feature string is NOT able to be copied between two radios. The features are keyed to the ESN in the radio, which interacts with the feature code to enable whatever. The only exception is, if the entire string of data is zeros, you have a 16 system/group radio.
2) Programmer's latest is V12 - costs approximately $2000. That's why they don't give it out for free. Later versions are not downward compatable and early will not read a later version.
3) The Orion is being replaced with the M7100, which will still use the same control head - it's P25 & Open sky compatable. System and scan heads are interchangeble with approriate reprogramming.
4) Frequency sets are not fixed - they are unique to the agency and its licenses.
5) The Orion dual-radio set up works great, IF you have EXACTLY the same flash code (operating system) in each radio. We have several fleets with dual radios and siren packages. Saves a lot of room in the cockpit. Just be careful of a few gotcha's in programming and which is master and which is slave.
6) Dual-head single radio is available but we don't have any of them serviced from this shop
7) I don't have any input on the ham conversions: after 35 years of working on radio all day I want a different challenge. 25 years with an MSS, 10 years with GE - but am the old radio guru for our Motorola equipment.
n_zero_ndp

Windows ProGrammer

Post by n_zero_ndp »

R13a is the current release of M/A-COM Windows ProGrammer & R14 is due soon if not already in the mail......
Glen W Christen wrote:Programmer's latest is V12
The EDACS DΩRK......
abbylind

Post by abbylind »

The band sense resistor is located on the underside of the synthesizer board next to a white 16 pin connector. Look closely (R480)
The radio will read 136-160Mhz but you cant program it with the Programmer software it only sees 136-153Mhz or 151-174Mhz.
You will have to hex DOS software. The 136-160Mhz split is a MRK split.

Good luck!
Fowler

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”