Hideaway strobes for 03 Impala in back-up lights, possible?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tacmed56

Hideaway strobes for 03 Impala in back-up lights, possible?

Post by tacmed56 »

Been lurking here for a long time and get a lot of good information. thanks

First time question. Is it possbile for hideaway strobes to fit in the rear back-up light housing of an 03 impala? any heat concerns? Don't want to put them in the brake light housing due to the small reflector. Will use a flashback flasher if it is not possible. any thoughts?
c17loadsmasher

Post by c17loadsmasher »

I believe the local PD here has them in there, how they fit, and how well they fare with the heat issue, I don't know. Saw it on one of their many traffic stops the other day.
Plain language is the DEVIL. Ten-Codes Forever!!!
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

They really wont fit.. Its possible but be prepared to replace them after a few hours of use.

We strobe the brakes and alternate the back ups with a standard headllight flasher..

Over 100 cars done this way no problems
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

I just put clear bulbs in the brake lights and reverse lights of an 04 impala. I did not immediately notice a heat issue. But I will keep an eye on it.

I did not have any problems installing them. The backup lights were a little tight, but I think that I put them on the lower or side of the lense. They do look great, especially at night!
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

We've got locals who've done it, with all kinds of melting issues. I'd just go with the backer.
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

use a flasher.

They melt
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

Just curious... has anyone not had a problem after long term useage (year or so)? I hate to tell a chief that I have to remove the lights. He kind of likes the look!

Thanks
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

take out the actual reverse light and mount a thin (very) set of driving lights underneath and in for reverse., and mount the stobes in the place for the back up...or switch the reverse bulb with the strobe. i have this way on my taurus which has ver small reverse lights. i had melting when i mounted them the traditional way...new set of tailights i mounted the revers lights off center and the strobes in the bulb sopot. REALLY bright as they are using the actual reverse reflector. back up lights are worthless neway and are more for indication of direction (Reverse) for other cars.
Suddenly You Were Gone
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

Melting issues a a very valid concern with the Impala. We have several departments that are getting away from reverse strobes for this very reason. One car (I will see if I still have a pic of it) got so hot that the plastic pooled and flowed like candle wax untill there was a nice clean hole in the lens. The problem is that guys sit on traffic stos for 10 - 15 minutes some times, or worse yet, they leave them running for an hour or better while out on an MVA, and the heat just does'nt have anywhere to go. As suggested already, flasher packs are the way to go with this vehicle.

Gotta love GM for thier forsight in engineering this car. Lets make it a police car first and downgrade the civilian model (Instead of designing the civilian model and beefing it up for police use), but lets not make the tail lights big enough for strobes. Yet, they run all the wiring on the car for the sirens, flashers, etc so the rest of your item work nicely. Go figure. :roll:
tacmed56

thanks for the help

Post by tacmed56 »

thanks for the input. Went with the flashers in the rear, has the desired affect in combo with the two "synced" talons mounted up on the rear headliner.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”