NMN6166C Saber Speaker Mic

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

IslesFan

NMN6166C Saber Speaker Mic

Post by IslesFan »

Hi,
On this speaker mic, what is the purpose for the "antenna adaptor" thats on the cable? It seems that when I have it on, it only hinders the radio's reception.

--IslesFan
akardam

Post by akardam »

The NMN6166C has a 2.5mm audio plug (for an earbud speaker), not an RF adapter. Plugging an antenna of any type into the audio plug will not improve your reception at all, and may very well as you've found out interfere with the radio's normal operation.
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

akardam wrote:The NMN6166C has a 2.5mm audio plug (for an earbud speaker), not an RF adapter. Plugging an antenna of any type into the audio plug will not improve your reception at all, and may very well as you've found out interfere with the radio's normal operation.
No... not on the speaker mic itself... but on the cable, there is a plastic piece with a screw that goes in to the antenna base on the radio. The antenna apparently then screws in to that aformentioned screw. I know about the 2.5mm earphone jack and thats why I bought the speakermic to begin.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

the adapter you speak of is part of the phsyical accessory connector housing and is used to provide support for the connector itself.

Install connector on radio, then drop the retaining ring over the antenna connector, thread in and then thread the normal antenna in as well.

It should not cause reception problems.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

apco25 wrote:the adapter you speak of is part of the phsyical accessory connector housing and is used to provide support for the connector itself.

Install connector on radio, then drop the retaining ring over the antenna connector, thread in and then thread the normal antenna in as well.

It should not cause reception problems.
The antenna dosent seem as securely fasened in the retaining ring as opposed to the standard antenna connector, and yes I've tried tightening it. It also seems that when the plastic piece and retaining ring is installed, that the antenna is very "wobbily." Maybe thats just how its supposed to be, I don't know.
tvsjr

Re: NMN6166C Saber Speaker Mic

Post by tvsjr »

IslesFan wrote:Hi,
On this speaker mic, what is the purpose for the "antenna adaptor" thats on the cable? It seems that when I have it on, it only hinders the radio's reception.

--IslesFan
The radio you're using - is it a garden variety Saber or an Astro?
IslesFan

Re: NMN6166C Saber Speaker Mic

Post by IslesFan »

tvsjr wrote:
IslesFan wrote:Hi,

--IslesFan
The radio you're using - is it a garden variety Saber or an Astro?
It's a Saber 1 VHF. I do have a Saber 1E uhf here(actually it was akardam's) but I haven't tried the speaker mic on that.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Sometimes it takes a bit of finessing to get the antenna nut threaded in properly. You can actually completely remove the antenna nut from the plastic retainer. If it's become cross threaded removing and reinserting might fix the problem. The other thing you can do is to remove the antenna nut, screw it directly onto the antenna connector on the radio, and then screw on your antenna. If it's still wobbily then you might need to replace the antenna nut. If not, then you probably just need to make sure that the antenna nut is seating in the plastic retainer correctly.

Hope this helps.
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

We had the adapter on our Ruggedized Astro Sabers at work and the antenna doesn't seat right because it's the wrong antenna for the mic. I don't know the model number but the right antenna has a slightly longer post and a flared rubber piece at the bottom. I ran into the same problem and never knew the "correct" antenna existed until a Motorola rep pointed it out to me and got us the correct antenna. I believe these mics were designed for the ruggedized series of radios.
Howard

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”