What encryption is it?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radio-link

What encryption is it?

Post by radio-link »

When using the XTS5000 in analog conventional mode, equipped with des-xl, can I tell if some unknown stranger on my frequency uses also DES/DS-Xl, just with another key, or is the encryption system not guessable?

When the other one transmits I get the flashing sign like when receiving a message with the proper key, just instead of voice only noise. Can also a DVP or DVI user cause this effect, or does it tell me, that the stranger also uses DES or DES-XL, like me?
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
XDCLabs.COM

Post by XDCLabs.COM »

In analog mode the radio cannot determine the encryption algorithm being used. So it could be just a different key or a differen flavor of encryption. In digital mode (for IMBE, not VSELP) the algorithm ID is embedded in the voice transmission. However the radio does not forward this info to the user.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”