Issue with a GP339 (PMTN4025) dropin charger

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

aays888

Issue with a GP339 (PMTN4025) dropin charger

Post by aays888 »

Hi group,
I have a issue with my battery dropin charger. When I first recharged my new battery (out of the box) when it was flat, the LED turn red on the charger, which is correct by the manual. After about 4 hours of charging the LED starts flickering yellow for a period of about 15 minutes, which says by the manual 'charger is getting ready to charge', then returns to red for about 15 minutes then back to flickering yellow. This is all that happens for the 16 hours when I had the new battery on charge.

On the bottom of the charger (PMTN4025) it says that a flashing red LED means that the battery is unchargable. A flashing yellow=charger is waiting to charge. A steady red=rapid charge. Flashing green=90% charged. A steady green=fully charged.

UPDATE:
I just recharged the battery for the second time since new after it ran down from about 2 days of receiving which is about normal, but the LED showed the same as mentioned above. Could it be that a brand new battery may behave strange until it has had a few charges?

Thanks Anthony.
jistabout

Post by jistabout »

Could also be a defective new battery. Doesn't happen too often but does happen......
Aww screw it. I didn't wanna fool with it anymore anyhow.
aays888

Post by aays888 »

Yes it could be. It could also be the charger, and the battery has been working and lasting fine so far. I guess I will just charge the battery until the LED starts to flicker yellow, which is after about 4 hours of starting.

Anthony.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

aays888 wrote:Yes it could be. It could also be the charger, and the battery has been working and lasting fine so far. I guess I will just charge the battery until the LED starts to flicker yellow, which is after about 4 hours of starting.

Anthony.
Is the battery warm or even hot then? I assume the environmental temperature is in your place high enough, and when the heat of the battery adds up it may lead to this behaviour. The different behaviour of different batteries just can be caused by tolerances of the temperature sensors.
Is your battery genuine or aftermarket?
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
aays888

Post by aays888 »

Hi Ralph,
during and after the charge the battery is a little warm, but not hot, so I found this to be normal, and it is a OEM battery that came with the portable.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

aays888 wrote:Hi Ralph,
during and after the charge the battery is a little warm, but not hot, so I found this to be normal, and it is a OEM battery that came with the portable.
Would be worth a try charging the radio in a really cold place - if you have one :) Usually flashing yellow after a period of charging is just a temperature issue.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
aays888

Post by aays888 »

Yep I will give that a try.
Thanks Anthony.
aays888

Post by aays888 »

Tried that, and no luck. It was cool last night in Sydney so that would of been a good test. I have a feeling it may be the sensor if it is the battery, I will be trying a new battery soon.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”