97 tahoe power

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gws
Batboard $upporter

97 tahoe power

Post by gws »

What is the best way to get 12v power into the cab of a 97 tahoe from a driver side battery? There doesnt seem to be to many punch holes on the driver side.
Gary N8EMR
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

Easiest way I found was remove the coolant overflow tank. there is a nice large area on the passenger side you can use to drill your own hole.
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

If the Tahoe is the same was as the burb, there are two 30 amp aux connectors off the fuseblock on the drivers side. That's what I am using right now. Pretty convienant.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

Pj wrote:If the Tahoe is the same was as the burb, there are two 30 amp aux connectors off the fuseblock on the drivers side. That's what I am using right now. Pretty convienant.
Convient but not from the battery I am trying to connect to.
Gary N8EMR
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

Jay G. wrote:Easiest way I found was remove the coolant overflow tank. there is a nice large area on the passenger side you can use to drill your own hole.
The 97 has airbags and control systems behind the overflow tank. THat were I usually would go in, but it looks a bit scary behind that part of the dash.
Gary N8EMR
Pj

Post by Pj »

What exactly are you trying to do, and are you using a 2nd battery? In 97, the main battery is on the pass side, and the aux is on the drivers.

The main cable from batt 1 is ran over the fan and connects directly with fuse block for the high amp stuff, and the two auxillary taps on the outside.

Currently I am running the lightbar and all my aftermarket stuff from these two studs without a problem, sans the PIAA lightinig.

Evenutally I am going to do a dual battery setup, but right now the truck is performing so well, why bother?

Tell us what you are doing exactly, and we can go from there.

I have everything running thru the drivers side firewall. Lots of room to work with and very little to destroy.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

I have a single battery system. I am adding a second battery on the driver side for my Radio's. I need to get power from the second battery to the cabin.
Gary N8EMR
Pj

Post by Pj »

If that is the case, run an approp sized wire(s) from the batt straigh thru the drivers firewall. No need to run cable all the way around the truck the to the pass side.

The drivers seat, carpet and moulding go in/out very smoothly on those vehicles.

Find a 1" hole saw and drill thru. Just remember to install a gromet in the hole so you don't chaff the wires.

Unless you are tx'ing multiple high wattage radio's at the same time, or tx'ing for long periods with the truck off, a single optima yellow top batt works pretty well.

Running the 100 watt x9000 and astro spectra does well. Also, I have had long run times with warning equipment with the vehicle off.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on your battery selection.
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

PJ, and now were back to the orginal question. WHERE to drill. I dont see anyplace safe to drill. Already have the optima ready, just need to get power inside.
Gary N8EMR
Pj

Post by Pj »

Right underneath the steering colum, towards the bend to the floor boards. If you open up the carpet, and also look underneath the truck, there is plenty of room. Just dead center it. Don't even think about the pass side. Take up the carpet, and you its all fair game. There are plenlty of drill safe space there.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”