2005 Ram B/U lights

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tech225

2005 Ram B/U lights

Post by Tech225 »

2005 Dodge Ram- Anybody know if I can pick up the backup light lead inside the cab? If so, where is it and what color? Thanks.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

are you looking to splice into the positive wire that connects to the B/U lights? If so what are you looking to connect?
Tech225

Post by Tech225 »

I'm thinking about hooking up a backflash unit. Since the truck has seperate brake lights and flashers, my plan is to hook into the brake lights and the backup lights inside the cab, instead of running wire all the way to the rear and having connections out in the weather.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Okay, I had a 2003 Ram 2500 before I got my present vehicle... As I remember correctly the Taillights, Turn Signals, and Backup lights are all controlled through a wiring harness that connects into the taillight assembly itself. That is where I spliced into the control wiring to connect to power for any of the lights (brake/tail/turn/reverse). The assembly sits in a channel that is not exposed to the outside elements so you would be safe to connect at that point. To the best of my knowledge there is no place inside that cab where you could connect to a control wire for any of the lights in back aside from the third brake/cargo light. My best 2nd guess would be to go into the engine compartment fuse block and find the fuses that control what you are looking for then tap into the wire leading away from that fuse.
Goodluck and let me know how it all works out for you in the end.

-Nate
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i would recomend against a Black Flasher it could send back Voltage into the Transmission Control/Brake Control

or atleast use some very Heavy Duty Diodes
Tech225

Post by Tech225 »

The one I'm going to use is the isolation type that doesn't backfeed.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Tech... glad you beat me to it, I was gonna say I'm pretty sure they wouldnt offer a product that would backfeed and cause such a problem as mentioned above with the Trans/Brake Control. Or if they did I hope you wouldnt be installing it. I have seen flasher work on Rams with no problems. Goodluck
DakotasKustoms

Post by DakotasKustoms »

from talking with a compnay that only does police package vehicles ... I as told there was not a good way to put a traffic backer in the newer Rams. That was my understanding at least of it. I figured that having diodes to keep from feeding back would resolve that problem, but I took his word for it as he was the installed who did it for a living, no me.

For that reason I installed strobes instead and am MUCH happier with the outome. Just my thoughts on it anyways.

Image Image Image
-Dakota
-DakotasKustoms.com

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”