ideas on covert VHF install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

ideas on covert VHF install

Post by jrm5265 »

Ive got to put a VHF antenna (of some type) on a 2005 F150 club cab. LT. doesant want to go w/ Sti-co this is a leased vehicle for narcotics supervisor and I guess Im going to just mount a black 1/4 vhf real real close to the black am/fm antenna. Any ideas? This is mostly used for monitoring anyway. Truck has tonneau cover on back bed so no tool box...............theres some talented people on this board so anybody done anything neat.....that worked pretty good? Wonder how a VHF monuted on an L bracket inside back window (yes I said inside) mobile will only be 25 or 45watts and like I said we will mostly be using this to monitor some secret squirell stuff
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

run it through the stereo antenna.
JMR
KC2QVO
Bob

Post by Bob »

Might be worth talking with these folks: http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/

I've heard varying success stories with their equipment. I've never tried any of theit stuff, so I can't speak one way or another.
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Antenna

Post by KB2ZTX »

I did one for our deputy chief in our department under the bed cover, i basically mounted it on an l bracket then flipped it down. Unless he took the cover of you wouldn't know it was there. it worked ok for his repeaters, not the greatest on simplex...
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

I would be concerned about an Antenna inside even at 25 watts. It would radiate right into your body. Just a thought on that.
I am not a fan of glass mounts but a glass mount might work too.
Radio Kid
firegood

Post by firegood »

What about under the truck like in the frame rails?
PriorityOne

Post by PriorityOne »

Get a Trunk Lid Mount and use it on the hood opposite the AM/FM. My antenna never gets noticed and its not permanent.
firegood

Post by firegood »

thats what im doing with my truck. i even got black antennas to match the truck
nick.dejohn
What radios do you own?: EX560-XLS CDM1550

Post by nick.dejohn »

I did the same. I got a VHF Black 1/4 Wave w/ a black "L" Bracket and you can't even know its there sometimes. I'll have pics up pretty soon!!!
Nick
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

Why would he not want a sti-co? It does no permanent damage, keep the old stuff and you can swap it back out or leave it in and they would never know it. Hide the duplexer behind the kick panel, they are not going to take the truck apart to check, but you could switch everything back like is was originally.
nick.dejohn
What radios do you own?: EX560-XLS CDM1550

Post by nick.dejohn »

Forgot about Sti-Co!!! Thats another option. WOuld nver know that you had an antenna or using a radio in your vehicle. A little pricey but work great!!
Nick
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

If this is a pickup truck with a tonneau cover over the bed that is being used mostly for surveillance work, why not just drop a 1/4 wave on a mag mount in the middle of the bed floor, under the cover, and be done with it?
jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

man..............

Post by jrm5265 »

Thanks you guys for all the ideas, the Stico is probably the ideal but one its HIGH$ and since this radio is an extra since dept uses 800 they dont wanna spend for stico

I think what Im going to do is run radio at about 15 watts and put that antenna in back corner of cab. Rarely will it be used for tx anyway.

I have the L bracket blk 1/4 wave on front of mine like one of u suggested and that looks good. I think also IF it was mounted on passenger side it would blend in good with am/fm antenna and sure its an swr nitemare but...........hey low use scenario

Joe
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

If they want to be cheap about it, then go cheap! I did one a little while ago, just got a glass mount antenna off eBay for $25 new, installed and ready to go in minutes. Looks like any old cellular antenna you will see these days. Most people wouldn't even give it a second look if you put on the back window like you see on hundreds of trucks every day.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

Use a black puck antenna, mag mount and run the cable through the door jamb like all the sirus and XM radio antennas. Ive put antenners so they protrude over the bumper or through the grille.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I'll second the glassmount antenna.

The cops use them here all the time on their unmarked cars, and it looks just like a phone antenna. If it wasn't for the plain wheels, you'd pretty much never know it was The Fuzz.
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

I just ordered a bunch of the glass mounts and they should be in on Tuesday. (Seems like they're catching on again) $25.00, shipped if you want one, and yes, they're black too!
ert1111

Post by ert1111 »

For what it’s worth I have been very pleased with the performance of the Sti-Co dual band glass mount antennas. For my area I use VHF and UHF radios. It costs about $200.00 but I have used the same one in several vehicles buy merely using the reinstallation kit. It is not vehicle specific like the AM/FM fender mount antennas. They also have VHF glass mounts if you don’t need the dual band.

http://www.sti-co.com/gm.asp

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”