Clips for screws, Nutsert Supplier??

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Clips for screws, Nutsert Supplier??

Post by kb0nly »

Doing some panel mounting and i can't remember what the heck they call those metal clips that you put over a hole in a thin panel to accept a screw. Like the auto manufacturers use for securing door speakers and stuff like that.

I know they have a name but can't remember. I used to just buy them by the bag from a local car stereo installer, who no longer exists of course, and i ran out. The local auto parts store looked at me like a weirdo on drugs when i tried to explain what i was looking for, i figured any decent parts store would understand, around here i guess not!
Last edited by kb0nly on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Some are called tinnerman nuts

Fowler
comm2

Post by comm2 »

we used to call them speed-clips? I've bought them at a Napa before, they come in lots of different sizes.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

SPEED CLIPS!! YES!!

Thanks, i knew i got them from somewhere else before, a quick call to the local Napa store tells me i can get what i need there. They have them in all the common machine screw sizes.

I haven't heard the term Tinnerman Nuts, but i will store that away in case.

I don't know why i had such a brain dead moment, but for the life of me i couldn't remember what they were called.

Thanks Guys!!

One of these days i have to get me a Nutsert tool to do the same thing. Anyone know of a cheap source for one and the nutserts to go with it? Also know as a Rivnut tool. Though some seem to just call it a threaded insert tool.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

c17loadsmasher

Post by c17loadsmasher »

Nutplate. :roll:
Plain language is the DEVIL. Ten-Codes Forever!!!
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok...

But, does anyone know a cheap source of a Nutsert install tool?

firegood

Post by firegood »

all my tools and riv nuts as i call them come from mcmaster carr supply. there are in NJ and are next day to me. there online catalog is at http://www.mcmaster.com/
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Thanks! I will check out there catalog.

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

Just for ha ha Mc master Carr is a Lineage Can be Drawn back to The Old Pullman Company. thats why u can buy alot of Rail Road stuff from them

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”