Thru Firewall with Heater Core Lines???

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bozotexino

Thru Firewall with Heater Core Lines???

Post by bozotexino »

Hello,

I just stumbled across this board for the first time while searching the Internet for info related to a recent install that was performed by a local "pro". Looks like there are some experienced installers here. I hope someone will be able to answer my question.

I have a simple setup in a Toyota RAV4 with a Uniden scanner and fender mounted 5/8 wave VHF whip antenna. The antenna mount consists of the Antenex L-Bracket together with the basic NMO with RG-58A/u coax. While looking the vehicle over today, I noticed that the installer routed the antenna cable through the firewall with one of the coolant lines that go to the heater core. Needless to say, this pipe gets extremely hot when the engine is running. Is the coax in danger of melting?

Thanks
dbcomm

Post by dbcomm »

Yes.
dBC. Power is our first name®
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Yes. Change it immediately, if not sooner.

However, are you sure it's a coolant line for the heater core? The A/C system has 2 lines thru the firewall also.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
bozotexino

Post by bozotexino »

Yes, they are definitely the heater lines. I thought at first they were A/C, but they were easily traceable to the engine block. Final confirmation was provided when I almost burned my fingers off while checking under the dash.

Of course, I'll have to cut the antenna connector off to re-route the cable. This means I'll need a crimping tool to reattach it. Anyone know where to acquire a decent one at a reasonable price? How about those flat metal wiring snakes?

Thanks
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Wiring snake?

Look in your closet for the nearest coat hanger you don't want anymore.
comm2

Post by comm2 »

Maybe you should have your Local Pro reroute it.
Well, or maybe not.
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Or desolder it from the NMO mount and pull it into the inside, and re-run it out a grommet.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”