MT1000 programmed wrong, now dead, help?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wolfy
What radios do you own?: MT1000, HT10, Spectra, MaxTrac

MT1000 programmed wrong, now dead, help?

Post by Wolfy »

have an MT1000 VHF that WAS in the 136-151 MHZ range, and some moron thought it could be redone to the 146-174 range. NOW have a non-readable radio with the software.....

Any tips/tricks for reseting it ?

Any help appreciated ....

Wolfy
1 Adam 12
sk

Dead Mt1000

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Go to the main page of BATLABS and look up info under model MT1000
There are 2-3 methods mentioned for recovery. One of them may work for you. 1rst option would be to take and change back the bandsplit and try to reload the corrected codeplug back into the radio...if you have a codeplug saved.
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

If you change the bandsplit and try to program it again as a low split radio, and its still not functioning, there are several methods on the MT1000 page on how to clear a corrupt codeplug, follow one, if you can clear the corrupt codeplug, throw in a new one with the right split.

You should be able to just change to the original split like 1-Adam-12 said, and have it work, but if that doesn't work.....
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Usually you can either ground the lock line, the right end of the left plug on the VCO, to ground so the controller will think the VCO is locked and then you can read and write to the radio to change the bandsplit back.

Or, you can just unplug the two connectors on the VCO module and do the same thing.

It is recoverable. If your not confident in your abilities to fix it i will offer to fix it for a small fee, or trade labor for spare parts, etc.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Wolfy
What radios do you own?: MT1000, HT10, Spectra, MaxTrac

Fixed.... I guess....

Post by Wolfy »

Thanks to all for your replies....

Tried everything posted and listed... to no avail....

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took another radio I had, took out the part that lies behind the thin metal shield (about the thickness of 3 or 4 credit cards and square, has the two white plugs on the bottom, two on the top, and one connector on the rear) from another radio, plugged it into this one, fired up the software and didnt try to read the radio but dumped the original code plug back to the radio, and VIOLA.... had a restored radio.....

I tried the shorting the pin out, grounding the pin out, both with and without a battery attached, and with and without the radio turned on before swapping parts... to no avail....

Still have a radio that no matter what i do is dead... but... havent given up on it yet... but it never worked... Love my MT1000's.... work good when a patient gets ... unruly :wink:

Again, my humble thanks to all.....

Wolfy... the EMT with one mouth and 7 portables, 11 mobile repeaters, and 5 Maratrac mobiles.... DANG i love to talk :D
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

The item you describe is the controller, so the controller was the problem as suspected.

If grounding the lock line doesn't allow reading and writing to the radio then chances are the controller is dead.

What you have to do is unplug those two small bottom plugs, or ground the lock line, then change the bandsplit and program to the radio. I've restored dozens like this now, a lot of the radios on ebay lately were slammed with a different bandsplit to blank the radio before selling.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”