Identification help: Bearcom (Motorola BC120)

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

Identification help: Bearcom (Motorola BC120)

Post by posse401 »

We just started using some new radios in one of our departments at work. They are from Bearcom and on them say "Bearcom, by Motorola". The identifier on the front is "BC120". Does anyone know what this would an equivelent to in a regular Motorola radio? It looks like the CP125 and the AXU4100, but has more channels.

http://www.bearcom.com/ecatalog/product ... t=Handheld

Bearcom seems to do this with a few of the radios. Any help would be appreciated.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Identification help: Bearcom (Motorola BC120)

Post by Josh »

It's a programmable radio and the frequencies could be anything in the band it is, either VHF or UHF...

-Josh
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

It is more like the VL130. Bearcom is starting to do like what Radio Shack use to do. Have someone build the product but buy the rights for them to slap on there name.

Also please tell all of us that you are only using these radios for like maint work or something else besides EMS/Fire/Law.

The director of our ambulance service, who is such a tight a$$ with money, wanted to buy these radios for our first responders to use because they were so cheap. He said we could buy two of these compared to what a pager or other portable radio costs.

I had to advise him that he was dumb and these are not meant for PS use.

BUt it is basically a VL130. They are a nice radio for my family to use instead of FRS/GMRS or not vital business comms.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Looks like a knock off of a GP2000. Good for "fun" commo. Wouldnt want to take it into a firefight.

Fowler
Will

Post by Will »

Can you spell GLORIFIED FRS radio?

POS, we all know what that is, and that Bearcrudd is the biggest whore in the industry.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Will wrote:Can you spell GLORIFIED FRS radio?

POS, we all know what that is, and that Bearcrudd is the biggest whore in the industry.
Indeed, it's a product made "for" motorola, not "by" motorola as per the back of my GP2000. I like my GP2000 a lot, and it makes a good 2-meter ham transceiver, but I still prefer my HT1250 over it.

-Josh
posse401

Post by posse401 »

We're using these for office and maintence personnel. There is no way I would carry something like that for PS use. I can't speak to their quality as I haven't used them or got any feedback yet from the users.

They are a glorified FRS radio, but I'll solicit some feedback. I know they are using them on one of our repeaters, so I'll have to take a listen for one of those units.

VL130 is exactly what it is w/ a different sticker. The specs match up pretty good.
posse401

Post by posse401 »

Okay so we needed these radios repogrammed and took them to the local Motorola shop. They said that they cannot do them and they need to go to Bearcom. What is the difference between these and the VL130, you can't tell me the programming is that different that they cannot be done. This is more of hassel than these are worth to ship them back and wait for programming.
Will

Post by Will »

Can you spell "screwed again by the whore, Bearcom".
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

The VL130 is the same as the BC-100, which is the same as the CP-125. All use the same RSS, the Business Portable CPS, RVN-4196C.

They shouldn't need to be sent back to Bearcom, anyone who can get a license for the SW can buy it and use it.

Tony
posse401

Post by posse401 »

If anyone knows of a shop where I can get these programmed in California (Northern preferred). Let me know. I tried to explain to the local shop that they could probably do it, but they insisted it had to go back to Bearcom.

Thanks in advance.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Will, why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? LOL!
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
Will

Post by Will »

Can anyone help posse401 out? He is a good customer and pays up front.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Someone on this board or over on elightbars works for Bearcom.

I even had someone at Bearcom try to tell me about using LAB RSS to enable MODAT once on an Astro Saber...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
posse401

Post by posse401 »

If anyone can help, I'd be interested. I'm looking for a semi-quick turnaround (quicker than sending back to Texas and waiting for BC to send back). Will pay up front and willing to ship. If anyone knows of a shop let me know that too. I've got four units I'm sitting on and much rather support someone on here than BC. Thanks.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”