Panasonic Toughbook

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KE9GK

Panasonic Toughbook

Post by KE9GK »

I know that this is a little off topic for this forum.....but...I just purchased a Toughbok CF-28 with the touch screen option....and for the life of me I cannot get the touchscreen option to work. I know that these are very popular computers to use for mobile applications so I am guessing someone on this board can help me. My problem is that it came w/o software on it, or a restore disk. All the drivers I needed I have downloaded from Panasonics website. I have everything working except for the hotkeys and the touchscreen. The prob. with the touchscreen is that the BIOS recognizes it, but there is nothing to install the downloaded drivers to in windows. XP did not recognize any type of touchscreen provision. It is as if there is no touchscreen option installed...even though there actually is. I have read many posts on different forums about this same problem...but never found a specific solution to it.

ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Thanks Don
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I haven't been able to get it to work on XP on a CF-27 with touchscreen, it works perfectly in windows 98 however.

Is there Windows 2000 drivers for the touchscreen on the CF-28? I have used 2k drivers to get some hardware working on XP before.

Oh, and this topic probably should be in the new Computers forum.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
KE9GK

cf28

Post by KE9GK »

The drivers I am using are for win2k/XP. If it would work...I can install win2K professional and try...however the original operating system was winxp sp-1. When I run the driver program it tells me it is an unsupported model...which is incorrect.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Oh, well i didn't realize the CF-28 had XP drivers available. The 27 doesn't unfortunately.

However, your having the same problem that other are. Does windows see the hardware?

Go to the Device Manager and see if there is any hardware that is marked with an exclamation point or question mark. Try running the add new hardware wizard and select input device and then tell it you have a driver and then browse to the driver files.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i remember somebody on ebay selling the driver and restore disk for the toughbooks and the touchscreen drivers. And if I remember right you have to take it back to 98 or ME to get it to work.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The CF-28 came from the factory loaded with your choice of Win2K Pro or WinXP Pro. Personally, my CF-28 (CF-28PTJGZQM) came loaded with a dual-boot 2K/XP - when I booted the machine for the first time, I picked XP, and Win2K was removed. Everything will work just fine in XP.

I do have a full set of restore discs (4 CDs), though I've not needed to use them.
KE9GK

TOUGHBOOK

Post by KE9GK »

I am still looking for anyone who can help me with the non-functional touchscreen issue on this machine!!! I think that I am going to need the factory restore disks in order to make this thing work...can anyone help me with this? Where can I go to get disks for a discontinued machine?

Thanks

PS. I do have a legit WinXP C.O.A. affixed to the bottom of this machine...I am just in need of the media for it.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Is your model one of these:

CF-28STJGZKM‚ CF-28SRJGZKM

I surfed around on the Panasonic site & this driver should work for you, provided your unit is one of those two model numbers.
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pc/cgi ... ?main=1631

Or, if it's this model:

CF-28S3JGZKM

Then this driver should do the trick:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pc/cgi ... ?main=1611

Let us know how it goes.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
KE9GK

Toughbook

Post by KE9GK »

I appreciate the links...I already have those drivers...the problem is that the touchscreen isn't identified in windows as "hardware" that needs a driver. I know the toughbook has the touchscreen option in it...both from the model # and from the BIOS options. I guess I am really in need of someone who has been through this issue to talk me through installing this driver...I have XP loaded and functioning properly...the only 2 items I can't get to work are the HOT KEYS and the TOUCHSCREEN.

Someone, Please HELP!!!!!!!!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

So it's obviously been reloaded with WinXP at some point, since all the drivers were needed when you received it. It seems like WinXP didn't choose the proper HAL (Hardware Abstration Layer) during install or something, since the touchscreen & hotkeys are not showing in the device manager. Are there any listings in the device manager with a ! or ? in a yellow circle?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What is the model number of your unit?

Jason
Screwed

Post by Screwed »

you could call panasonic
OFCDANIEL

TOUCH SCREEN APP

Post by OFCDANIEL »

IDIDN'T READ ALL THE REPLIES, MOST ALL OF THE TOUCH SCREENS ARE RAN BY ELOTOUCH. GO TO http://WWW.ELOTOUCH.COM THEY HAVE THE DRIVERS YOU NEED JUST YOU PICK THE RIGHT DRIVER IE... SERIAL TO MONITOR AND THE SOFTWARE XP, 2000 98 ECT.

HPOE THIS HELPS.
OFC DANIEL
I DO WANTED VEHICLES FOR THE CIRCUIT AND FEDERAL COURT IN DETROIT. I'M ALSO THE I.T GUY FOR OUR TASK FORCE, DOING THE SET UP OF MDT'S RADIO AND LIGHTS IN ALL OF OUR VEHICLES WE USE. CONTACT ME IF I CAN HELP
THANKS
OFC DANIEL
tvsjr

Re: TOUCH SCREEN APP

Post by tvsjr »

OFCDANIEL wrote:IDIDN'T READ ALL THE REPLIES, MOST ALL OF THE TOUCH SCREENS ARE RAN BY ELOTOUCH. GO TO http://WWW.ELOTOUCH.COM THEY HAVE THE DRIVERS YOU NEED JUST YOU PICK THE RIGHT DRIVER IE... SERIAL TO MONITOR AND THE SOFTWARE XP, 2000 98 ECT.

HPOE THIS HELPS.
OFC DANIEL
Damn... you'd think a highly-trained "IT guy" would be able to hunt down and disable that pesky CAPS LOCK key. :roll:
OFCDANIEL

CAPS

Post by OFCDANIEL »

I HATE READING SMALL TEXT I LIKE THE LIKE THE LOCKS ON.

AND BY THE WAY DID ELOTOUCH HAVE YOUR DRIVER?

thanks
ofc daniel
is that better?
I DO WANTED VEHICLES FOR THE CIRCUIT AND FEDERAL COURT IN DETROIT. I'M ALSO THE I.T GUY FOR OUR TASK FORCE, DOING THE SET UP OF MDT'S RADIO AND LIGHTS IN ALL OF OUR VEHICLES WE USE. CONTACT ME IF I CAN HELP
THANKS
OFC DANIEL
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep, that's somewhat better. CAPS LOCK = screaming, in case you haven't yet figured it out.

I don't need the drivers, and I took care of the original poster long ago (his Toughbook is up and running now). Mods can lock this post if they'd like.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

and you can change the "minimum" font size in your browser to increase the font sizes in the windows...i find it brutally miserable trying to read the ALL CAPS all the time that people use online..

infact, i was recently screamed at by our billing dept at work, because typing in all lowercase "SLOWS DOWN THE BILLING PROCESS" because it takes longer to read the typing on the screen. go figure.

i won that battle.
KE9GK

Toughbook

Post by KE9GK »

Thanks all of you that have replied...PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

How did you solve it, find different drivers, or??

Just want to make sure the solution gets recorded here for future askers of the same question.

spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I reloaded the graphics drivers on my 28, with XP-Pro, works like a champ.

I would like to fine some original restore discs though.

SG
KE9GK

TOUGHBOOK

Post by KE9GK »

Sorry all,

I should have said what happend. I was able to find some original restore disks, and get it working from there. However, the problem was in the touchpad driver....not the toucscreen...what I didn't realize is that they are both interconnected.

Thanks for all the help!!

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”