Data 911 Computer Question

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ccomm911

Data 911 Computer Question

Post by ccomm911 »

Here's a "Science Project" I need some help with: I want to use a Data 911 computer monitor with a non-Data 911 CPU. The Data 911 has a SCSI III plug on the back and of course, a standard PC has a VGA DB15 HD plug. The power switch for the Data 911 monitor also controls the on/off of the CPU. It seems like I have seen a post on here of a mini-van with this same setup along with several other radios, antennas, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice or help. Stay safe.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Data 911 Computer Question

Post by kc7gr »

ccomm911 wrote:Here's a "Science Project" I need some help with: I want to use a Data 911 computer monitor with a non-Data 911 CPU. The Data 911 has a SCSI III plug on the back and of course, a standard PC has a VGA DB15 HD plug. The power switch for the Data 911 monitor also controls the on/off of the CPU. It seems like I have seen a post on here of a mini-van with this same setup along with several other radios, antennas, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice or help. Stay safe.
The minivan you refer to is probably mine.

Actually, the monitor I'm using is not a Data 911. It's an OEM industrial unit built by Earth Computer Technologies. Details about it may be found at this link:

http://store.earthlcd.com/s.nl/sc.7/cat ... id.3610/.f

In summary, the unit has a standard VGA-style D-sub input connector. I've never seen a monitor that has the "SCSI" style connector you describe (talk about custom...). Earth Computer simply took an industrial-grade NEC panel, and stuck it in a housing of their own design with their own support circuitry.

I also made some minor mods to the EarthLCD unit to suit my specific application. These included replacing the cheap coaxial-style DC connector with a mil-spec cylindrical type, and adding externally-accessible controls including a dimmer knob.

Happy hunting.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”