Windows XP

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Windows XP

Post by JAYMZ »

One of my co-workers was given a disk through the college she's going to with Windows XP x64 Edition. I take it that software is a 64 bit version of XP. If so, what's the difference?
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I've read various things about it over the years. It was originally meant to work specifically with Intel's 64-bit Itanium processor, but it can now work with AMD's 64-bit processors. It's supposed to be 32-bit program compatible (as there are very few 64-bit software programs out there yet). If you type "XP 64 bit" in google, you'll get tons of hits with lots of info. Here's a few of the sites:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119373,00.asp

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/win64.asp

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Unless she has the hardware to run it, an AMD 64 or Intel 64 bit processor she should just stick with regular old XP 32 bit for now.

I have a 3400+ 64 bit processor in my main desktop and i still run windows 32 bit for now. The reason? Well, the 64 bit version is still in its infancy, and we all know how bad a new version of windows is when it comes out. They are just barely off Beta in terms of finding all the problems with the 64 bit version.

You won't gain a lot in the area of performance/speed until all the software your running is also 64 bit. However, upgrading to a 64 bit processor is worth it regardless of which operating system you decide to use. The 64 bit AMD's have a hundred times better memory handling than a 32 bit processor relying on the motherboard's chipset to make the link. There are plenty of articles on the web about the advantages of the 64 bit processor architecture and i won't go into great detail when you can read some really good articles out there on the subject.

In all reality she is probably a lot better off sticking with XP 32bit for the time being. Give it another year and let the 64 bit version mature some more. A lot of discussions about problems with the 64 bit version are clogging the net these days.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

Unless there is some hidden command or switch, the 64 bit version won't run on 32 bit machines.

I have a copy that came (student) with a 32 bit copy, and just for a lark, I tried to install the 64 bit version first. I came with an error something like "this version of Windows cannot run on this machine" or similar.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I can't wait to try out the new 64-bit version of solitare...
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

alex wrote:I can't wait to try out the new 64-bit version of solitare...
:lol:
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Solitaire: Yeah, maybe they'll finally even make it smart enough to realize you've won the game when all the cards are turned over and none remain in the stack, rather than having to double-click or drag each card individually to the Aces piles.

They've only needed this since Win3.1, but then again why fix something that isn't broken when they can introduce thousands of totally new bugs?!?!?!

Bob M.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

kcbooboo wrote:Solitaire: Yeah, maybe they'll finally even make it smart enough to realize you've won the game when all the cards are turned over and none remain in the stack, rather than having to double-click or drag each card individually to the Aces piles.

They've only needed this since Win3.1, but then again why fix something that isn't broken when they can introduce thousands of totally new bugs?!?!?!

Bob M.
Actually - right click while in the screen, and it'll auto-stack anything that belongs on top of the aces...

1 click... done.

Solitare is also much better on a touch screen, but I didn't want to take this too far off topic.

You'd think they'd redesign the card backs.

-Alex
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Wow, I wonder when they snuck that little item in?

Now they need an "automatic move" option that will do all the appropriate moves as the cards get turned over - the "no thought" mode.

Bob M.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”