systems saber programming problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mp501mp

systems saber programming problem

Post by mp501mp »

hello all.
i am sure somebody already asked this question and an answer has been given, how ever i didn't see it yet.

i have a systems saber vhf full key pad model that when i try to read or program it i get a error message stating com failure.

the rib and cable are hooked up properly, a good charged battery and in dos 6.22 on a slow 486 computer.

com port is set to com port 1 in the rss.

it will read in f9 setup com test and shows that it is con6 but thats it.
it have tried 5 different versions of systems saber rss from B to lab and they all show the same problem.
where did i go wrong with this?

any help would be nice.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Even with all the RSS versions you have and have tried, you may STILL be using the wrong version.

Your setup appears to be the right combination of a 486/RIB and cable, so I suspect you are experiencing what I call 'Wrong RSS Syndrome'.

Another problem that mayhave been missed...Are you running DOS by itself and not in a shell, like Win XX DOS command or command prompt under XP(not with a '486).

That's the one thing I WISH all RSS versions would report: The software version that was used to program the radio, that way you would know right away if you have a proper and current version that will function.

Many troubles start with the use of the parallel port use ffor programming.

If you are using the LPT-1 port, this will more than likely be the main problem as DOS does not have control of that port like it does with the serial (DB-9) port(at least in all cases I have experienced, it has never worked).
mp501mp

Post by mp501mp »

dos only no other software on computer.com port 1( 9 pin)

i might have to call M for a newer version to fix my problem?
big bucks for such a small program, oh well, it's almost new radio and i don't want to sell it so i will have to spend the bucks.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

What's the latest version you now have?

mp501mp

Post by mp501mp »

r040002
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Version 4 is O L D...I'm pretty sure the radio was programmed with ver. 5 or later, and you'll need the latest version to program the radio..

Sorry for the bad news.

kc2dla

Post by kc2dla »

I have a 486 that can be switched between two CPU clock speeds, 25 and 33 MHz. I have R03.00.02 and it will only read and write at the 25Mhz clock speed. I get an error if I try it at 33 MHz. See if you can lower your clock speed at the keyboard, or by changing a BIOS setting.

Paul
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Come to think of it, even ver 4.02 should work just fine, but you may experience troubles other than COM failure, like failure to acquire busy line Etc...

If you have a 386 machine, and DOS 6.22 and not running dos in a windows shell, you should be able to read/write to the radio, the Syatems models are even finickier than the standard Saber models when it comes to CPU speeds.

IF your machine has a cacheable memory, disable it if possible, I've had to do this in order for the RSS to read the CP of the radio.

There has been some talk of the Sandy Ganz style RIBs are experiencing trouble with reading/writing to certain radios, but I am not aware of anyy problems myself, other factors might be at work here as well, and I have never heard of the Sandy Ganz RIBs being a trouble spot with programming, I assume it to be a very isolated condition at best.

These are the most required steps to remember when dealing with any computer programmed radio:

1. Read the radio's codeplug

2. SAVE the radio's codeplug!!

3. Use DOS ONLY....NO SHELL!

4. Older radios as well as their vintage RSS require SLOW computers due to timing loops built into the older RSS, they rarely run properly on machines faster than 75 Mhz. unless the RSS is of far later vintage and designed to run in a windows environment.

5. Check ALL batteries, and power supplies for PROPER voltage levels!

6. Use proper 50 ohm terminations while 'testing' transmitter levels, or feed the RF into the monitor's internal RF load to measure RF output power. NEVER feed more than the rated power into ANY service monitor, even the RF fuse will cost you $$$ if you blow it.

RKG

Post by RKG »

For what it is worth, I have maintained a diminishing fleet of Systems Sabers using NEC 486-66 laptops, running MS-DOS 6.22, and all Motorola interface products, for several years with nary a glitch.
1 Adam 12
sk

Laptop

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

One other thing to check is the bios settings. I have a 486 Dell and it also works with the system sabers, but not until I went in and adjusted a line for boot speed from 75mhz to a lower setting... also some laptops have setting such as Smart CPU , which when enabled alows for clock speeds to try and match program needs.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”