Partitioning Software

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

crazyboy

Partitioning Software

Post by crazyboy »

Does anyone know of any good, preferably free, partitioning software? Thanks.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I don't think it's free, (short of using the standard MS-DOS/Windows utilities), but Partition Magic is well known, and seems to work well from my experience.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP ANY AND ALL DATA BEFORE SCREWING AROUND WITH YOUR PARTITION TABLE.

Good Luck!
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Thank you Alex.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

There IS free software, but frankly, I've been able to do most of what I need to do using Microshaft, or sometimes Linux. fdisk, which you can "get" out of your Windows9x-ME box is pretty handy, after all, and you can download a bootdisk on several places on the net, including bootdisk.com

The partitioning software right on an X tra P utrid CD can be used, and stopped, short of installing Winhoed

Most linux distros can be hacked and used.

Now, if you want "on the fly" software, that's a little different, but even then there's a way.

I recently needed to partition a laptop, and the only way to "install" the system was an restore CD, what to do?

Used the restore cd to do a fresh "restore" of the hard drive

Used Ghost to make an "image file' burned to CD(s)

Used fdisk to partition the disk into two partitions

Used Ghost to dump the stored image back onto the primary partition.

Done!!
Last edited by 440roadrunner on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

If you need to move or resize partitions without losing the data in them then i suggest Partition Magic, it's not the best user friendly program out there but it's good at what it does.

If you ever need to backup an entire hard drive or partition then get Acronis True Image, saved my butt plenty of times. With the bootable rescue disk you can restore the hard drive from the image in about 15-20 minutes.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”