MCX100

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Stage 2
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT1000, HT50,MAXTRAC

MCX100

Post by Stage 2 »

I am looking to find out exactly what I have in my possesion. It is an MCX100. I looked in the model I.D. section of Batlabs,but, an MCX1000 series is the closest I can find rather than the MCX100 I have. The model number is MBD43EXA7J00ASP. What band? How many channels? What power output? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Stage 2 on Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAILROADS: AMERICA'S MOST VITAL TOOL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION.
1 Adam 12
sk

MCX

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Well 2 things, first if your lucky, loosen the screws at the back of the radio that hold the cover ( radio facing up. Look at the underside of the cover, M usually had a sticker under there with frequencie info, options etc. Hopefully no one peeled it off. The radio is a VHF, max channels is 32, it uses a prom for frequencies and a prom for pl, and the 1800 series programmers, though there are other methods. Its been a while, so I'll have to see if I can find a manual for the model number info. But try lifting the hood first :-?
Stage 2

Post by Stage 2 »

1 Adam 12....See the man at...I couldn't resist because as a kid that was one of my favorites. Anyway, I did what you suggested and found out a little more. The stickers are there in pristine shape. However, the only info on them was as follows. The same model number along with a serial number were there. This is a 19, yes a 19 channel unit which I've never heard of. I've only known of 16 or 32 channels from /\/\. Beyond the list of the 19 frequencies the only other info is a "Hi" filter and a "Lo" filter of which are each tuned to just outside the frequency ranges of the programmed channels. Currently, this is a 6 Mhz spread. I hope you,or, someone else can solve this. Everything about this radio is heavy duty as all accessories plug into the back using multi pin rectangular connectors. I am guessing that the rectangular 7 pin access on the back that is covered is the programming connection. In addition to the power cord, I have a DTMF mike and, the separate mobile speaker. There is also a small round 5 pin access on the side of the radio towards the front on the left side as you look at the unit. A link off of this site describes this radio as sort of a Canadian Syntor. The tag outside does indeed indicate it was made in Canada. Again, thanks for all help.
Larry Page

Post by Larry Page »

MCX100s had a pretty narrow pass band on the front end. To get around this, one of the options (I don't remember the option number) was a dual filter in the front end. Each can be tuned independently so that a wider range of frequencies can be used.

Not sure, but I think this same option was available on the MCX1000.

By the way, your radio is a 32 channel unit. It came from the factory with only 19 of them programmed.

Regards,
Larry Page
W5LEP
GROL
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

There is no "programming connection". The 7 pin connector next to the speaker connector is the option connector. The radio is programmed by burning and installing new PROMS. That model # is a 30 W/32 CH/VHF
with PL/DPL. The dual front end provides 2 6MHz wide bandsplits.

My manual does not mention the "ASP" model number suffix and I do not know what the round 5pin connector on the side of your unit could be.
Will

Post by Will »

MBD43EXA7J00A is a "Canadian Syntor". Worked on lots of them in the early eighties.

The receiver is very much like the Syntor with a sharper frontend filter. A very good receiver in High RF inviroments. UHF is very simmular.

And mentioned was that the MCX1000 receiver and TX is much the same.
The MCX100 is PROM programmed and requires a new PROM and External programmer for the prom. Proms can not be reprogrammed.

Andy Brinkley is THE man on programming these.
Last edited by Will on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

The model number decodes to a 32 channel dash mount VHF (either 136-162 mhz or 146-174 mhz split) MCX-100 with digital encryption capability, 40 watts RF output, DPL & PL squelch board/ The SP means Special Product and it could be anything. Send me the list of option codes and I can tell you what internal options the radio has.

The round connector is for the Keyloader.

Also we have a reprogrammable adapter module that replaces the obsolete PROMS used for frequency and Pl tone storage
Andy / NC4AB
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Andy Brinkley wrote: Also we have a reprogrammable adapter module that replaces the obsolete PROMS used for frequency and Pl tone storage
Cool...do you still need the R1800 programmer, or is there something else that can be used with your modules?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

The MAB (MCX-100 Adapter Board) can be programmed with most standard eeprom programmers. You can generate the codeplug data by hand or use one of the aftermarket software packages available.

More information on the adapter boards for the MCX-100 and Syntor radios is at:

http://www.brinkleyelectronics.com/adp/adp_fr.htm
Andy / NC4AB
Stage 2

Post by Stage 2 »

Thank you all for responding. It sounds like I have a pretty decent radio worth setting up for re-use. Andy, I will be contacting you about that adapter that is re-programmable. 73 Shaun

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”