HP 8935 Service Monitor / TDMA Test Set - OK For Analog FM?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cracked

HP 8935 Service Monitor / TDMA Test Set - OK For Analog FM?

Post by cracked »

Anyone have any experience with this service monitor? It's geared towards PCS work, but it seems to have all the functions necessary for the usual land mobile analog FM tests. I'm suspicious because it seems like a full-featured, modern test set and it's selling pretty cheap on the used market (excluding the commercial outfits selling used test equipment).

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb ... -3798E.pdf
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

A guy at work purchased one from Ebay for $1200. It seems to be OK. Three problems for general use. It does not have the usual 8920 encoder so if you need DPL, LTR, Etc you need an external encoder. Second it is as big as a house. Third all of the connections are on the side.

Many of the modules inside are 8920 ones.

You can download all of the manuals from Aglents website.
cracked

Post by cracked »

Fortunately, I don't think I consider any of those "problems" problems for me.

How do the used test equipment companies stay in business? They're selling these for as much as $30,000.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Its a little late in the day to get full pop for them. I buy equipment for my hobby so I had to think hard when I purchased a 8920B for two grand in the last surplus wave.

If you are running a business and you can make money it makes sense but these days cell phones are throw away items.

I now work for a city but in the early days I worked for a cellular agent. When Motorola would pay as much as a phone costs today for warranty we could justify 22K for a 2008D.
cracked

Post by cracked »

Looks like I just ended up with this Motorola R2001A:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0003816668

Hope I can find this so-called "A3" card and get it fixed...
K7GDM
New User

Re: HP 8935 Service Monitor Usage

Post by K7GDM »

When I bought this monitor I was easily able to find and use the monitor for sweeping/tracking duplexers and after not using it for six months, I can't find the sweep/track function. Anyone out there able to point me to the correct menu selection would be doing me a huge favor.

Dave-k7gdm
k2hz

Re: HP 8935 Service Monitor Usage

Post by k2hz »

K7GDM wrote:When I bought this monitor I was easily able to find and use the monitor for sweeping/tracking duplexers and after not using it for six months, I can't find the sweep/track function. Anyone out there able to point me to the correct menu selection would be doing me a huge favor.

Dave-k7gdm
Go to the SPEC ANL screen. Then select CONTROLS then RF GEN and you should see the TRACK/FIXED option.

Dick-k2hz
K7GDM
New User

Re: HP 8935 Service Monitor / TDMA Test Set - OK For Analog FM?

Post by K7GDM »

Thanks for the directions Dick. Saw that the other day but didn't see it. Dumb. I'm glad Batwing Labs is still up and running.

Dave-k7gdm

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”