GP300 Battery Argh!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N6ATF

GP300 Battery Argh!

Post by N6ATF »

I have this Ni-MH aftermarket battery made by Dantona Industries.

AFAICT, the cells are fine. But the housing is extremely weak. It's suffered hardly any abuse, and yet it cracked for the second time yesterday within a year and a month of having it.

I was just holding it, and a piece came off in my hand. This was larger than the first piece that came off.

I would like to find a housing that isn't weak as @#$&. So, some sources would say to get a OEM Motorola battery which takes a vicious slam into concrete to break (Multiplier requiring only a toss in the air). Yet I have no desire to have another Ni-Cd (in my experience, the worst battery chemistry out there) totally die on me and flush more money down the drain.

So I wonder if I can crack the Ni-MH cells out from my aftermarket housing and install them into an empty OEM Motorola housing without buying much more than superglue, or if it should be left up to the pros, or if that's even possible.

TIA
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

GP300 battery...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Over the years I've probably owned/handled/managed/
maybe a hundred of these units, of all kinds of brands,
yet I've never had one break its case. I'd suggest you
get together with a local battery store who can get you
a NiMH battery to try with a return privilege as the
fastest and cheapest answer to the problem. I've seen
them up to 1800 mAh capacity but that appears to be
about the limit of what people are willing to supply. We
all know that capacities up to 3000 mAh per cell are
now available, so maybe someone is making one now.
Also remember that keeping the transmit power turned
down as low as will work for you also lengthens the
time between charges. I should also tell you that in my
experience some of the aftermarket GP300 batteries
are really lousy fits to the radio.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

I'd sure like to know where all these "local |x type of speciality| shops/stores" are. Seems like everyone else can find these like a cow in a haystack (because that is a common point of advice in reply to all issues hardware, I have to assume they are able to go to these places themselves).

Anybody from East San Diego know the right place to go for this problem? I just e-mailed Fisher Wireless in El Cajon, but they are non-specialized and probably won't care about a single person's problem as it is not profitable.
Tom in D.C.

batteries...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_loca ... te/CA.aspx

They have a store on Rosecrans Street in San Diego. They will
order anything for you that they don't have in stock.
Tom in D.C.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

It seems they only carry NiCads, though I e-mailed them to be sure.
Last edited by N6ATF on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.

GP300 battery...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Sorry, but your approach is not one that will get the results
you need to get. You have to go to the store and get the guy
to LOOK IN HIS BOOK and then he'll know what he can get,
not what he has in stock, which probably is not a NiMH GP300
battery. Nothing beats being there in person, whether you're
buying or selling something.

Batteries Plus does have GP300 NiMH in their book, or at
least they did a year ago. I think I paid about $30 each for
a quantity of six at the Rockville MD store.

If you hit a real blank wall let me know and I'll get the guy in
Rockville to help you with this.
Tom in D.C.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

You get what you pay for.
There is a good comparrison of batteries on Motorola .com under accessories and documents.
It will explain why you pay more for the quality
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Having trouble finding this comparison. Do you have a direct URL?

And yes, I dig that Motorola can construct better battery housings than anyone else for its own products.

But I don't dig that M made NiCad its dominant cell type until Impres (which supposedly charges and conditions even NiCads so they don't totally crap out under light use and attentive charging).

I've used pre-Impres Motorola NiCads before. They're just as bad as most other manufacturers.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

the only other non-OEM batteries I would use are Multiplier and Alexander, both of which are large OEM manufacturers with years in the business. IIRC, Multiplier has OEM'ed batteries for ma M.

Everything else is crap. I had a nice ProStar pack given to me for my XTS3000. Sure it's nice 3AH NiMH, but it won't fit correctly on the radio, and the power cycles on and off. Not much good if the damn thing won't fit. These cheap chinese built packs are GARBAGE. You do get what you pay for.

I replaced the Prosuck pack with an Motorola Original and haven't had a problem since. Ever looked inside one of these cheap$hit chinese wonderpacks? I've seen better soldering and assembly techniques from 5th graders....
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Multiplier rate the worst by Motorola test as per the pdf.

Whist at the MTUG meeting they showed a video made by a shop out west. They recieved some Honeywell batteries for evaluation.
The tech took one straight out in the carpark and threw it in the air.
As soon as it hit the pavement it shattered.
He then went and got a new Motorola battery and did the same test.
He got tired throwing it and his buddy stated throwing the battery at the ground.

After 32 times the battery was still intact.

When I got home from MTUG I found some multiplier batteries and went out in the car park and threw them in the air. They all shattered when they hit the ground, The best one took three throws. I tried a motorola battery and couldn't break it but I did manage to distort the way it fits to radio but that was it.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

N6ATF wrote:I've used pre-Impres Motorola NiCads before. They're just as bad as most other manufacturers.
I've got a few customers using /\/\ Premium NiCDs that are still at 80-85% capacity after 2 1/2 years. It's not as bad as though as Premium NiMH batteries, it's been up to 4 years since I've had to replace those.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Without a battery analyzer, just the battery strength indicator on my last radios with NiCads, the capacity dropped to 50-66% in about 2 years, and 0% (didn't even turn on) in about 4.

I don't see how putting the word Premium in front of an inherently idiotic battery chemistry makes it any better. If your customers put them on slow charge at the end of the workday (meaning they probably didn't fully discharge the cells), those results are unbelievable. Maybe with a computerized battery conditioner...

I still am not seeing the magic words: Motorola edit: made NiMH batteries for the GP300.
Last edited by N6ATF on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Premium denotes the battery product line itself and defines the warranty associated with the battery, in fact all three chemistries have Premium batteries available. These are kind of the middle of the road model between IMPRES and the Power/NRG series and carry a warranty that is middle of the road as well (6 months shorter than IMPRES on capacity, 12 months longer than Power/NRG on workmanship).

That said, the customers have been well-trained to drain the batteries as far as possible and not to remove the batteries from charge until they have been fully recharged.

Question the veracity of my claims all you want-- selling new batteries is a profit center for two-way dealers and I have just as hard a time believing the results that you do.

One thing I should note though is that I've seen NiCD batteries come from /\/\ that held 10-15% more than their advertised capacity fresh out of the box. Obviously this will impact capacity analysis down the road when the battery is being rated against the advertised capacity instead of the actual capacity.

I doubt you'll ever see a NiMH battery for the GP300. /\/\ is not in the habit of producing new accessories for discontinued models.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

How do your customers know when the batteries are sufficiently drained and when they are fully recharged? I have no such indicators on the GP300, not that I explicitly trust BSI anyways.

I guess I could just keep using it until it doesn't even beep on power on self-test, and hope/pray that 14 hours is long enough to fully slow charge the battery.

I'll edit the magic words: Motorola made NiMH batteries for the GP300.

Which means that some still exist that can be purchased.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Update:

Had a good chat with Motorola GP series customer service/parts this morning. No choice but to get NiCad.

Now the question becomes, out of the two part numbers they gave for desk chargers, which one will prevent the NiCad from taking a dump the longest?

HTN9042A
WPLN4089CR (weird, she gave me the 220v version. 120v is WPLN4088CR)
1 Adam 12
sk

WPLN4088CR

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Go with the WPLN series.. this is what they are about .
http://www.advancetec.com/product_produ ... escription
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

That's the aftermarket version of the WPLN, I suppose.

Dang...

That should be the standard charger for NiCads! These cheapy slow/rapid chargers are practically built to ruin the chemistry and force users to replace the batteries way too often.

Looks like I can backorder the HNN9628B and WPLN4088 for $119.12 shipped from Advance Radio Systems.
proff
What radios do you own?: Maxon,Motorola,Kenwood,uniden

your battery trouble

Post by proff »

those can come to an end if you use a 7808 regulator and run the radio from 12V.
Left to right the left one is 12V DC, the middle one is Ground ot negative and the right leg is 8 v DC out. that one goes to the [+] terminal of the radio
Allen C
find me on 27.405 Mhz USB
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

How does this factor in to using the HNN9628B and WPLN4088 together?
proff

BATTERYS

Post by proff »

with care split the battery case , remove the cells.then fit the 7808 reg. run 2 wires to 12 volts.
i wouldn't use a good battery for this I would use a old un-useable battery
Allen C
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Oh you're talking about recasing the existing cells. Ok, I'll keep this thread saved for if I ever do get the parts together.
proff

DUMMY BATTERY

Post by proff »

I am talking about removing the cells and having no cells but there will be a 7808 reg. and NO CELLS.
the radio will then run off 12 volts
Allen C
Will

Post by Will »

I have had very good results using the Motorola branded WPLN4088C. Only dis-advantage is you have to take the battery off the radio. The charger acually "burps" the battey during charge with a controled short discharge pulse and needs direct access to the + side of that battery to do that. Other 'plates' to fit other batteries are available as long as they are the same voltage as the base of the WPLN4088. Also works off of 13 volts in your car/truck.

There are a breed of drop-in chargers using the Benchnark battery charge control IC that work well. They work well and have interchangable 'cups' for different batterys/radios.

I have 2100mahr NiMh batteries on a few GP300's and like them.

No mater if you have NiCd, NiMh, or other chem batteries, the charger is the most important part of the battery's life.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”